Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, March 14, 2014

Friday--rhymes with Pi Day!

First of all I have to mention that today is "Pi Day", which is
celebrated on March 14th (3/14) around the world. Pi (Greek letter “π”) is the symbol used in mathematics to represent a constant — the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter — which is approximately 3.14159.  I think the name "Pi Day" has a nice, snappy sound.  I'm no mathematician and never did understand what Pi is all about though.

There have been questions about my post yesterday and the possibility that I may carry a 40# backpack this summer.  I hope it is much less although I won't know until I get a few more of the larger items.  So far out of the "big four", I have the following:  Tent 4#.8 oz.  I may be able to reduce this weight by a few ounces, by substituting titanium stakes (which I already have) for the heavier stakes that came with the tent.  My sleeping bag is 3#.  No way would I even think about getting a lighter weight bag, as this is the warmest and most comfortable sleeping bag ever.  Thermarest pad is 1# 3oz; there are lighter ones out there, but I've mentioned that I want a full length pad and won't settle for anything less.  I don't have the pack yet, but hope it will be in the neighborhood of 3#.  Those are the big four, and mine will weigh in at about  12-14#.  Ultralight backpackers carry about 15# base weight, plus food and water.

Then I need a stove, fuel, water filter, flashlight, compass & maps, water bottles, bug repellant, personal items such as toothbrush, etc.  Depending on the rules for where I hike I may be required to carry a bear cannister to store food and personal items - anything that would attract bears.  Those cannisters can weigh up to 3#.  So I will be lucky to total up to 20 or 25# base weight.

Water weighs 8.3# per gallon; I haven't determined yet what kind of food I will carry.  Mountain House and other such companies make some good backpacking dinners that you just add boiling water to, and they can be eaten right out of the package.  They are expensive, and the weight of the packages adds up.  Add clothing (you count the weight of what you wear, including your boots, etc., so you can see where I can easily approach 40# total.

This is why many backpackers try to shave ounces off wherever they can, some even going so far as to trim the handles of their toothbrushes!  I have never done that and never will, but I'll look for other ways to reduce weight.  I'll carry the lightest and smallest camera I own, but I may have to leave my cellphone behind!  I won't bring technology on a backpacking trip because for one thing, then you have to add a solar charger; I've read journals of hikers who have well over 5# of technology but go ultralight on things that compromise their comfort.  Does that make no sense to anyone but me?

Those of you who live and travel in RV's will enjoy way more comfortable travel than I will, but I will be traveling in places you can't reach.  There is a trade-off for everything.  What I'll miss most of all is my black lab, Smoky, who was the best hiking companion anyone could ask for.

My post yesterday mentioned a trip I made to Linville Gorge, NC, where I saw the ghostly lights.  Here is the bottom of the Gorge in daylight.


And here is Guy, photographing a waterfall.  We camped near this spot.

I have a few more pictures I will scan and post tomorrow.  On second thought after viewing these scanned pictures on the finished blog, I might not post more.  The photographs I have in my hand are beautiful - color is good and everything in the pictures is distinguishable.  I can't take as good a photo in digital as I can with a plain old film camera, but they lose everything when scanned digitally.  What a shame.

8 comments:

  1. I've never backpacked really, just day hikes. Sounds exciting and like quite an adventure! Looking forward to following along. :)

    I think the pictures that you scanned came out really nice. They're not sharp like photographs, but they almost look like paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jessica - those pictures do look like paintings and are beautiful. I have trouble lugging one of the girls around and they only weight about 15#. But I sure am looking forward to hearing about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't weigh all that much and I think you should take your cell phone. Just do not turn it on except for an emergency. That way the battery will last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE backpacking and know exactly why you want to do it, to get to places where you are the only person there. I really miss it in the RV which cannot go to a lot of the places I'd really love to be. Can't wait to go backpacking with you. I assume you will write about it when you resurface or I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never backpacked except on hunting trips, and the needs for that are quite different. Sounds like you have it pretty well planned out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I started backpacking I walked around my area with my pack filled with bricks to get used to the weight. You might do the same to see how much you can carry and for how long.

    A cell phone doesn't weigh much, but since you're planning to go alone, there is no other way to get help if you're hurt. I wouldn't even hike without one. And a small mirror to signal planes if needed.

    I'd never backpack alone, though. I always went with men who were experienced and much stronger than I and they carried all the kitchen things. I only had to carry my own stuff and half the water.

    Is there a hiking/backpacking group in your area you could join to make some friends with possible hiking mates? I would think there must be. Sharing the weight would be nice, as well as having a companion or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think with going to the gym will help your strength issues. But I agree with Barbara about the cell phone. Many lost or injured people were found by using their cell phones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...shaving a pack down is hard, and depending on the weather you have it changes the weight of the pack. I have an old exterior frame pack I prefer this type. I use a 3/4 pad, my pack normally sits at about 28 lbs loaded and Im strong but now IM over 60 yrs old, if there is elevation changes I could never carry 40 lbs a training regiment would def be needed!

    ReplyDelete