Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, March 20, 2014

More dental work

Today I went in for what I thought would be a filling and an extraction, but the dentist wanted to try to save the tooth rather than pull it, and I readily agreed.  It is a lot more expensive that way, and will require a root canal.  Today he did some preliminary work to see if it could be saved, plus filled the adjacent molar.  This is going to cost me several thousand dollars and there goes any vacation travel I may have been able to do.  It is also going to cut into some of the more expensive backpacking gear I wanted to buy, but since backpacking is on the back burner until I see about the hernia, I don't want to buy anything more.  I have everything I need for setting up a base camp in a campground, and then doing day hikes from there.  It's a little different but the logic is still the same - "If ya can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with".

I have never been to a dentist as good as this one.  Normally I work myself into such a state, find myself clenching my hands, and really just terrified.  I don't have that reaction with this guy and have no pain or worry.   

Now I have to get myself psyched for the visit with the surgeon tomorrow.  I'm going to ask him about the possibility of doing some specific yoga in order to avoid surgery.  I can imagine what the response to that will be, but who knows.  I don't really want surgery if I can help it.

I have been mesmerized by the unfolding events surrounding the disappearance of the plane from Malaysia.  You sure can waste a lot of time watching repeats of the same information on TV.  I still hope the plane is found on land somewhere, with at least some of the crew and passengers still alive.  No doubt that is a very long shot.

Thanks FlowerGirl for the suggestion for setting out safflower seeds for the birds because squirrels don't like it.  I think that's what I used to get for the mourning doves and haven't noticed any around where I live, but maybe other birds will like it as well.  Next time I get to Lowe's or Home Depot...   My new hummingbird feeder has been up for 24 hours but I haven't seen a visitor yet.

 

10 comments:

  1. I had a cheap attack and had a back tooth pulled instead of a root canal and crown done last summer. Every time I eat anything I regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea to spend your money on your teeth now. You'll get forever benefits and you can save some more for your travels. How about a new header picture from somewhere you are really wanting to go. Just borrow it from the internet. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also went the cheap way but wish I would have tried to save the tooth. Too late now and implants are just too expensive. Hope the visit with the doctor gives you some good answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not that I'm trying to destroy the US dental industry or anything, but since you have a sometime urge to travel, I feel obliged to say that what would cost you thousands at a US dentist will cost you only hundreds in Los Algodones, Mexico. What I did for my latest work was to have my US dentist write out a description of what he thought needed to be done, which I took to LA and gave to my dentist down there. The work is still healing but I hope for a result as good as the first work I had done south of the border.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hummers will come it takes time.

    Short trips are better than no trip I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gypsy, I would echo Craig's post. The drive wouldn't be too bad for you from Sacto to Mexico & you could save a lot of money. I've read so many blogs this winter that report positive experiences with dental work done in Algadones (sp?). I hope your surgeon gives you good news. Ask specifically if they do general anethesia. You don't want that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gypsy, I would echo Craig's post. The drive wouldn't be too bad for you from Sacto to Mexico & you could save a lot of money. I've read so many blogs this winter that report positive experiences with dental work done in Algadones (sp?). I hope your surgeon gives you good news. Ask specifically if they do general anethesia. You don't want that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If possible, always best to keep your own teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Taking care of your teeth no matter where you have the work down is always a good decision.

    The last thing you would want is being in the wilderness and not being able to enjoy this trip you have looked so forward to.

    Good luck with your trip to your surgeon tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gypsy I 2nd that work your way down across the border, like you said yo can setup a base camp go from there an if the weather takes a turn you have a warm dry bed waiting for. As for the Buffalo, well maybe some of those nice Mts you guys have out there...

    ReplyDelete