Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, March 15, 2014

More Photos

I scanned a few more pictures from my backpacking days, and I may have to post them a few at a time.

First of all I hae done a lot of thinking about my plans this year and realize that the hernia repair may make it difficult to realize my goals, at least during spring and summer.  Maybe fall, but who knows.  I'm sure there will be a more lengthy recovery period than I would like, and I just have to accept it gracefully.  Where gallbladder surgery patients often go back to work after a few days, it took me well over a month, and probably closer to two, to feel like doing anything!  I expect an even more difficult recovery from the hernia, but who knows.

So the answer may be to drive to a campground and set up camp, then hike for a few hours before returning to camp.  I could carry a pack with less weight - maybe just things like snacks, water, jacket, etc., but not the full burden of a backpacking trip.  I may have to be satisfied with that.

The first two pictures are of Smoky and me when we began our trip at Springer Mtn. GA; I weighed about 139# and think I look pretty healthy!  The following pic was taken 3 months later, 20# less, about a week before I left the Appalachian Trail with severe chronic bursitis.  (Click picture to enlarge)

This one was taken at Bly Gap in NC; and the next was at Hot Springs NC.  I left Smoky back at the motel catching up on his sleep.





And here is me on Rocky Top, TN.


Two more are taken on Bald Mtn in NC.  It is not known why no trees or vegetation grows on these hills which are called "balds".  The last picture is in rural VA, which seemed so open and pretty after being mostly in the trees.



I have a few more scanned photos that I will post tomorrow.  

We are expecting the temp to climb up to 78 degrees today with full sun.  I need to get dressed and get out of the house!

11 comments:

  1. Really appreciate the pictures, Gypsy. Thanks for the effort it takes to post them. It's good that you have photos; they allow us to relive our memories. You were lookin' fine then, and you look fine now, too! You are always so upbeat, I'm sure things will work out for the best re surgery and camping plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great looking black lab, and he's helping Mommy carry the bags.Your no bad looking either. Hope your well enough
    for just a little camping. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pictures. Much of my life would be fuzzy except for all the pictures I have taken over the years:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gall bladder surgery take place inside your abdomen. The hernia surgery is outside your abdomen. I know a lot of people will tell you they had the surgery and recovered quickly, but I did to and it was about 2 weeks before I could go back to work. I was 64 when I had it done, and I worked on my feet all day long. Nothing too strenuous. (Nursing) So I hope this helps in your decision making.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures. It is nice to see some pictures of the Appalachians instead of the Rockies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooo loved seeing the pictures Gypsy... went back and caught up with your posts! hey hey Guy looks like a great hiking partner for sure ... and certainly Smokey!

    LOVE the pictures and your adventures. You will have more ... hiss on health problems... hiss

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really wonderful pictures. Thanks so much for posting them. Both you and Smokey look very happy. No wonder you want to get back out on the trail. And you will, I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures I love that we have these memories in photo's. One of my grandson's just got a black lab sure is a sweet looking puppy. My dad has one and it was so smart. Their really loyal dogs too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you're posting these pictures. I love looking at them. I'm sure hoping the hernia surgery doesn't stop you from being able to do some hiking this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic photos! Thanks for sharing them! I love the expression on Smoky's face in the Springer Mtn picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for posting these pictures for us. I never even knew that dogs could carry a pack with them! He is so sweet looking.

    You are a very determined gal...I know you will find a way to go backpacking even if it involves a plan B scenerio (sp?) like you have in mind.

    Glad I was able to get caught up with your posts.

    ReplyDelete