Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Some more accomplishments

Steve came today and the first thing we did was go to Home Depot to buy plumbing fixtures and supplies, as well as other miscellaneous items. I now have a new kitchen sink fixture which is really nice and doesn't leak if you turn it too far, and new handles in the tub/shower that might solve the water leakage problems in the bedroom. The bad floor in the bedroom showing the worst water damage is just behind the shower, and Steve thinks it may be because a fixture was missing that prevented water from the showerhead dripping onto the faucets and into the wall. We'll see if this does the trick.

I brought several samples of Pergo home with me and selected the one I want, so tomorrow I will go back to HD and buy it. I would prefer the guys start on the living room since that will be the most noticeable coming into the house. The guys are going on a backpacking trip next weekend, so it will be a while before I can get my work crew in to put in the flooring, which means I might have time to wash and paint the ceiling and walls of the roll-out part of the living room.

Everything is dependent on yet another thing being done first, and things seem to be in a never-ending circle right now. With all the carpeting up I need to spend a day or two getting my clothes organized and put away. I certainly have enough drawer and closet space, since I am going to use both bedrooms. But then when I finally get around to painting the drawer fronts and closet doors, I'll have to remove the clothes! Nothing is easy, it seems.

I think the smoke odor is diminishing, although my daughter-in-law could smell it immediately. There will likely be a slight odor forever, at least now and then.

I am so tired, and that seems to be an ongoing thing with me lately. I'm ok in the morning but slow down after mid-day. Could it be a sign of age?

I've had several questions I wanted to answer, but don't quite have the energy to go back and look them up. I'll try to remember some of them.

- I've also heard good things about Kilz. The lady I dealt with in the paint dept. recommended a product called "Gripper" for priming laminate wood paneling prior to painting it. I have been happy with the product so far.

- I'll just keep the gas range for now as I can't afford to buy a new one and still do the things I'd like to do. Money is an issue, of course. The flooring is covered and will be paid for tomorrow, and I'd really like to replace the formica panels in the tub area of the bathroom before getting a new range.

- The lady who lived here before didn't have pets, ever, to my knowledge, so that's not the source of water damage. I need to have the roof checked and possibly recaulked, and my youngest son, Joe, says it's right down his alley. I knew I could count on him if there is a roof to climb up on.

That's it for tonight.

5 comments:

  1. What's that old saying?..All good things in due time? At least that's what I keep telling myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure that there is no mold growing where the floor got wet. Mico-toxins from mold can ruin your health!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto on the mold concern!

    Really sounds to me like you have a great plan and wonderful help. Don't know what I'd do in your situation. I don't have those family folks to help out.

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what I know about laminate flooring, you should have the flooring in the area where you will install for a few days to acclimate the product before installing. Good thing you have to wait for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re the Kilz primer; my mother was a smoker and my husband and I had to use Kilz on the ceilings and walls to prevent the nicotine stains from coming through the new paint we put on (which we discovered after we had already painted the ceilings twice.) Using the Kilz along with removing all the old carpeting totally eliminated the smell of smoke from the house.

    ReplyDelete