Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, August 30, 2010

Looking at maps

I decided to quit searching and getting myself annoyed, so I went to AAA this morning and got a set of CA maps plus camping maps for northern and southern CA. I didn't realize they had the camping maps, and they seem to be pretty nice. The only thing is that the print is a medium gray on white background, and I don't know who can read that easily but I sure can't. I looked briefly with a flashlight shining on the section I'm interested in. Maybe when my new glasses arrive I will be able to read anything and everything!

I'm making my list (and checking it twice) of items I don't want to forget. One thing I just can't wait to get is the new cooler I ordered from Cabela's. It is the classic style Coleman, made in the USA, and is a 54qt steel belted model. I've read reviews that claim the ice lasts anywhere from 3 to 6 days, and I suppose it depends on how often you open the cooler, plus whether everything is already chilled when it's put in. The biggest problem will be to lift it, but if I put the empty cooler into the truck bed and then add everything at that point, I will just leave it in the truck and access it from there. I sure hope there aren't any bears that will tear up my new cooler.

I've decided to go to the El Dorado National Forest and look for a suitable place to camp. There shouldn't be any problem finding a spot if I go in mid-September. I may end up using a campground if they are relatively empty by that time, but I'll keep my options open. Thanks to Laurie & Odel for recommendations of some good locations in El Dorado Forest. Although I travel alone nearly 100% of the time, this will be the first time I've camped alone since 1997 on the Appalachian Trail. I wish it was as easy now as it was then - carrying everything needed in a backpack. Why does it have to be so complicated to do something as simple as setting up a tent in the woods.

Since the Bayfield Bunch recently bought a spiffy Jeep Wrangler, I see more and more of them on the road, and the more I want one! I love Jeeps, and there is a particular style I am just crazy about, but unfortunately there isn't one in my foreseeable future. Dang! Probably the only thing I could tow with a little Jeep would be a teardrop camper and I couldn't fulltime with one of those. I am fairly certain that I'd like to continue fulltiming, but will probably change my mind numerous times before the apartment lease is up (end of March 2011).

9 comments:

  1. That cooler brings back memories for me. I am sure we used to have one, and we would take it to the river all the time. Is it green? Good plan to put it in the truck, then load it. You deserve a break. You haven't mentioned your noisey neighbors lately. Did they move out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never did find setting up a tent a simple thing whether it was out in the woods or at home in the living room. Good idea waiting until mid September & d'ya suppose triple AAA had the design folks at Microsoft design those hard to read maps. Hard to read stuff is all the rage in the tech world now you know....:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are getting hitch itch there young lady. But I am sure a spell in the woods with just your tent and your new cooler will alleviate some of the symptoms. Travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very adventurous, I doubt I could go back to a tent. I am sure you will have fun, wherever you end up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure sounds like you are getting your energy and enthusiasm back, Gypsy, that's great. I nice little camping trip after Labor Day sounds just like the ticket for you - especially since you have all those nice paper maps now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A tent? Oh horrors of horrors. I didn't even do tents when I was young. But I sure hope you have the most wonderful time ever. Hitch itch is a really serious problem for some of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, you won't be alone, you have Lady! I'm really not into boondocking alone in the middle of nowhere, but National Forest campgrounds are among my favorites. Sorry to say, I'm not sure I can get this bigger rig into many of them now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. In 1998 we drove a 30-foot MH and stayed at several Nat. Forest parks in Washington state. They were really wonderful and we are so glad we took the time to experience that type of RV camping. Now with the 40-footer, we want our hook-ups. Still, those good-old days bring very pleasant memories and I have a photo album to look at and visit those CG's again.

    Good luck getting out into the wilderness when the holiday weekend is behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to tent camp with four kids! I always found a site with restrooms close by. BUT, how do you manage bathroom breaks? Porta potty? Behind a tree? I just gotta know! He He!!

    ReplyDelete