Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, August 9, 2010

Camera Settings

My brother, Bill, wrote me last night after reading my post about the camera I'm using, and the seemingly long time between pressing the button and the click of the shutter. He suggested setting it in sports mode. Our camera models are a bit different and I clicked on a Menu button, and then looked for the icon (hate those things) of an athlete running. It could be a stretch of imagination (mine anyway) to see an athlete running, but I picked it out by the process of elimination.

I also had several comments to the effect that I should hold the button part way down until I get the shot I want and then press it the rest of the way to take the picture. I tried that and found that after I switched to sports setting, the picture snapped instantly. Bayfield Al suggested that I experiment with taking photos of Lady, and I took a couple this afternoon on our walk.

I thought I would include them, because this is what she does on her morning and evening walk - twists and turns and really enjoys herself, getting a good backscratch in the process. It's funny how most animals do this, and they love it.




This has turned out to be a pretty nice day. Though the forecast was for the upper 80's, I don't think it ever got that high. I've had the door open all morning - vacuumed and sprayed Febreeze all over the apartment in an effort to get rid of the strong doggy odor. It worked for a couple of hours, but now all I can smell is dog!

7 comments:

  1. I still haven't had the time to check my camera like you suggested. I have looked through my manual previously, and never saw a sports setting. I'm so tired of everything right now I don't feel like being much of a sport. Thanks for the info, though. I'll look into it someday when I feel the energy surging through my blood. 2012 maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that 'Sports' setting should work fine too. I've never used that setting on my small point & shoot Canon so never thought of it. Always something to learn from these blogs eh:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sports setting is great. Thanks so much for posting that little tid bit.

    Lady sure is a pretty dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just looked at my camera and not only do I have a "sports" mode, but there's one for "kids and dogs" too! I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lady is so cute. I love to watch them roll on their backs - at least if it's not in poop. Our beagle always liked deer poop when we lived in the mountains.

    You can always take more pictures of her. I love the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a sports setting I'll have to try. That delay does leave you with missed action. For Rick -- the pets and babies settings on my camera simply allow you to enter then name and age of the dog or kid. Well, the baby setting does use a weaker flash. We also have one called Hi-Speed Burst, which will take a string of pictures as long as you hold the shutter button down. That would help catch just the right shot, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually leave my camera set to "burst" mode which either shoots 3 shots in a row or continuous. After a while, you get used to the shutter action and it works pretty well on moving subjects.

    With a 3 burst mode on a moving subject, one of the 3 isalmost always usable.

    Great photos of Lady!

    Kate
    http://cholulared.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete