Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, August 22, 2010

More on the hummers

I've been watching hummingbirds this morning. At one point there was a tiny little guy at the feeder when the "owner" came over. He wasn't nearly as aggressive as he usually is with another adult bird, but he let the juvenile know in no uncertain terms that he was infringing on his territory, and the baby flew away.

I was sitting on the patio when he again came along, and as the feeder is almost always in shade it makes him look dark and colorless. I said to him, "I think you are pretty even if you have no color". Can you believe he left his perch, flew into the sunlight where he hovered and turned this way and that, allowing me to catch the snatches of beautiful gold and red colors in his plumage! Then he casually flew back to the feeder and picked up where he left off. I think I am becoming a "hummingbird whisperer".

I know the weather is ever changing, but I was growing accustomed to the wonderful temps that Sacramento has experienced this month. Tomorrow that will all come to an end and we will see triple digits for a while, which is more normal for this area. It is also why I have always disliked summer in Sac. Maybe this calls for a day or two of camping up in the Foothills.

I'm having problems with Blogger today. While other programs load quickly, the Autosave function is not working, nor can I load and read blogs of other folks. So I will see it it publishes, and save anything else for tomorrow's entry.

7 comments:

  1. I had lots of trouble with Live Writer this morning. At one time on blogspot I lost all of my gadgets I had loaded. It took me forever to get them all back, then they were all jumbled up. Maybe it is a day for internet problems. Love your Hummer story. They are priceless little creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you're the "Hummingbird Whisperer" try this: Put a red toothpick in your mouth and see if one will land on it. A friend of mine does this - they fly right up to her like she's their mother! K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been aware of some Blogger shenanigans lately as well. Temporarily lost my Followers list & my links gadget vanished. Today I noticed another one of my side bar gadgets is not working. Hummers are fascinating little critters. I just emailed you some really cool Hummer photos:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hummingbird whisperer- sounds like there could be a movie in this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If anyone saw me talking to hummingbirds they promptly call me a "bird brain"!! I like your "hummingbird whisperer" much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your problems also included not loading the comment I made. :( I think it went something like this: I really think you should give Live Writer a try, there are a lot less problems as compared to writing with Blogger..but then I remembered that you have a Mac. Does that mean you can't use Live Writer?

    ReplyDelete