Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, August 23, 2010

Heat Wave!

This kind of day saps all my energy, my appetite, and my inclination to move off the couch. It is 95F at 5pm, and going up to 99. Tomorrow will be 106! I knew this was coming when I joined all the folks crying about the cold winter we had, but I promise to not complain about cold ever again.

The morning was peaceful and cool, as most mornings in Sacramento are. The hummingbird entertained me, and tried his best to move to where I could get a fairly decent photograph, but with the patio overhang and the tall wooden fence, plus the shade trees, there just isn't enough light. I tried to stand by the gate and get a better shot, but he kept getting spooked by something, and I realized it must have been my camera reflecting flashes of sunlight on the beams of the patio cover. I will just give up on photographing him and enjoy his visits. It is uncanny how he responds to what I say to him, and no, I don't think I'm certifiable, as yet. If plants respond to love, then why shouldn't animals and birds.

I tried twice to load a picture, and I did it the same as I've always done it. There is no picture/html. That's all I need!


I'm not sure what happened, but I started an entirely new post and uploaded the photo, then copied/pasted the html into this entry. It worked so I won't complain anymore about it, but I'm hanging by a thread with Blogger!

I just read Pidge's blog for today about the lack of taste and quality of produce, and would like to relate an experience I've had.

Two Sundays ago I went to the local farmers' market and bought quite a bit of squash, of several different varieties. I was digging through the produce drawers of my fridge this morning and found a single small zucchini that I'd forgotten all about. I chopped it up along with a tomato that has been sitting there for at least a week, and threw them into a dish I was preparing for my lunch. I was stunned at how fresh the zucchini looked and felt and tasted. Even when buying organic zucchini in the grocery, it starts to get soft spots within a few days, which indicates they are picked days if not weeks before appearing on the grocers' shelves. My advice to Pidge and everyone else is to buy organic, and buy from a local farmer where possible. As I mentioned in my comment to her, they don't put chemicals into the soil and in and on our food to improve the taste.

9 comments:

  1. I definitely know hummingbirds respond to humans. And I am so fascinated by these wonderful, busy, hungry birds. I'll be glad when we can stay someplace long enough to put out the feeder again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your picture.

    Thanks for the advise. I am going to do my best to find some fresh produce. None of the stores they have here have organic, and if they do, it is 10 times more. If you get a good product though it is easier to pay more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily, we have many, many organic farms near here and all the major grocery chains feature large organic food sections. The costs have come down a lot in the last few years too. You're right though, organic food does taste better and it lasts longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in the Olympia area we have a weekly Farmer's Market with so many stalls featuring organic produce. It is always wonderful.

    Glad you got your pic posted, Gypsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be worried about all the egg recalls! I have not eaten or bought eggs for a couple months, just didn't want any, but now I will make sure they are cage free, organic if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hummer shows up really well if you click on the photo.

    I agree about supermarket produce. I've found Costco's produce, though, always lasts much longer than I think it will. Their's must be really fresh when it's put out.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's why I was so thrilled to find the vegetable stand last week! Gypsy, you really should try Live Writer if you can. I just remembered you have a Mac. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right Judy, I cannot use LiveWriter with the Mac. I normally do quite well just using Blogger, but once in a while something throws a wrench into the works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A big difference between Farmer's market and Co-op produce and produce from many of the grocery stores, Costco, Whole Foods and even Trader Joes is how they pick it. Farmers that sell direct to customers or even direct to small stores like Co-op's pick the produce when it's ripe. Most of the produce on the supermarket shelves (even organic produce at places like Whole Foods) is picked early and "scheduled" to ripen in coolers, the back of the truck and in the store. This process takes away from the taste but adds to the shelf life. Also, if your concerned about the price buy smaller fruit and veggies. An organic apple has 10-30% more nutrients than a conventional apple and many times the apples are smaller. Smaller fruit also have less water so they have more flavor. Tast the difference between a small zuke or yellow squash and an large overgrown one and you will be sold.

    ReplyDelete