Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Wildlife report

This is just a quick post.   Both boys brought home "creatures" from school last week - Justin has custody of "Henry" the hermit crab for as long as it takes.  Josh brought a butterfly named Mr. Bob home with him.  Ara had helped him prepare a suitable dwelling, which he entered on Friday afternoon.  The deal was, they were to release the butterfly on Sunday.  Evidently the class had a whole bunch of them to hatch?  What is an emerging butterfly called anyway?

I was relieved because I didn't think it was a good idea to confine a wild creature of any kind, but especially one with wings.  On Sunday we took him out on the deck and released him, but he just hopped on to the deck rail for a while.  Sandy dipped a cotton ball into the sugar water he had been provided with, and after about 10 minutes and a a bit of wing fluttering, he rose up toward the sky.  I was so happy to see him fly!

So that's the wildlife report for today - no deer, no foxes.  Click on the picture to enlarge it.  I asked Josh what kind of butterfly it is and he told me, but I forgot.  I just know it's not a Monarch, and I will no doubt remember the name as soon as the blog is published!  (Is it a Painted Lady?  I shouldn't be calling it a "him" if so.)

4 comments:

  1. That is so cool! What a wonderful thing for the boys to be able to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is neat, the way he fed that butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure is a pretty butterfly and happy it was able to fly off into freedom

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great to watch the caterpiller spin it's cocoon and then emerge as a butterfly and fly away. Love it!

    ReplyDelete