Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Keeping warm

When I lived in Ireland my house was always cold - no central heat.  I had a portable oil heater I could move around the kitchen, but the small living room was warmed by a fireplace.  I loved that fireplace and got pretty good at making fire with coal and peat.  The last year I bought a big load of wood and sometimes burned that as well.  I also had a portable electric heater that I would keep in the bathroom so that I could take a shower and not freeze to death.

One Christmas Jeannie, Donald and Ara sent me presents that would keep me warm - a wonderful fleece bathrobe (I'm wearing it right now), a thermal blanket, and I can't remember the 3rd thing.  Last night I put the thermal blanket on my bed, and combined with the lightweight down comforter I was toasty warm all night.  In fact, it was the best night's sleep I've had in a long time, and I woke up in the best of moods.

I think my former landlady eventually put central heat in the house after I moved, but the cost of running it would have made it unlikely I would have used it all that much.   So I am not as uncomfortable as most folks would be with the chilly house, as I've been there and done that, and actually didn't mind it all that much.  But a friend (who also didn't have central heat) used to come and visit me, and we would laugh about how we could see our breath in the cold room.  Also, my fingers never seemed to warm up completely.

The experience of living in Ireland taught me that I can deal with just about any situation, and I faced many such situations that I had no experience with, but I learned how tough I can be.  The thing I doubt I could ever get used to is the extreme heat in California summers, and perish the thought of the desert.  I'd take snow any day over excessive heat! 

The pubs in Ireland were always warm enough, and they all had fireplaces where a person could warm up quickly coming in from the cold.

I think I've posted pictures of my house in Ireland but I'll do it again.  The living room is to the lower right, and my bedroom was just above it.  I loved that house.





View from the house:






I made cranberry sauce this morning from scratch.  I had no idea how easy it is, and from the taste test, it is very good.  It is supposed to thicken as it cools, and I really hope it does.  I have half a bag of cranberries left so I can experiment another time with adding spices, pecans, etc.  I did grate a little nutmeg into the cranberry mixture, but not enough to overpower it.  In fact, probably no one but me will know it's in there.

I need to get  a few things done so I will publish this early.  Have to decide what I will take to Jeannie's since I'll be staying overnight.  

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

6 comments:

  1. We don't have central heat in our Congress house & it is always too cool for us. We do miss our toasty warm central heating in Bayfield. I like that nice green looking Irish countryside.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Ireland house was lovely and what a nice view you had.

    Have a happy Thanksgiving with your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started making my own cranberry sauce a couple of years ago. I use orange juice instead of water. My step-daughter puts thin slices of orange peel in hers. We can only find cranberries between Thanksgiving and Christmas so I make a double batch and freeze it in small containers. Any time I have turkey I have to have cranberry sauce.

    When I was a kid we only had gas heaters in the living room and bath room. Unless it was going to freeze my dad would turn the heat off when we went to bed. Thank goodness for electric blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely view from the window of the green meadow. I have heard it is so beautiful there and just so green. I can tell you loved it there.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have baseboard heat in every room but we heat the whole house with a fireplace upstairs and fireplace insert downstairs. It is toasty warm. I have an electric blanket for my bed. I turn that on about an hour before I go to bed, which is heavenly. Hope your furnace gets fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete