Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, November 15, 2014

I love market day!

I can get to the farmers' market, look over and buy the produce I want, and be back home and have things put away in about an hour or less!  Of course that is when I go by myself, but I'd rather shop with Jeannie and the girls and take a longer time.

This morning the green beans looked so good I couldn't pass them up.  I don't often eat them, after a childhood of green beans being a staple of just about every dinner.  I bought about two pounds of them, divided them into thirds, and had them blanched, drained, and in  freezer bags in no time at all.  I kept one third to cook fresh, maybe with potatos and corn.  I wish I could just eat the vegetables and satisfy dietary and caloric requirements, but dang, I'll have to cook some meat or fish to go with them.  I think I could live on fruits and vegetables, supplemented by sweet rolls or coffee cake, of course.

I noticed several new faces at the market, most of them advertising that their produce is organically grown.  I think they may have moved over from another Saturday market that closes for the winter.   Most of the stalls have signs declaring "We grow what we sell", and I believe it because everything is so very fresh.

Steve, Jeannie, and Donald took me to the local brewery and tasting room yesterday for my birthday.  It is in a big building and consisted of the "bar" area and another large room where you can sit and drink your beer, and I believe their hours are 4pm to 9pm - or something like that.  I liked the golden ale and bought three 22 oz bottles to bring home.  I need to find a bottle stopper so I can drink half a bottle and then save the other half for another time.  Jeannie and Donald both got samplers - 6 smaller size glasses with a variety of beers.  I also tasted a stout which reminds me of Guinness but not exactly.  I think I might try a larger glass of it next time.  You can see the various brewery equipment all around the huge room, and I enjoyed it so much.  

Steve said there are about 16 breweries within the Sacramento area (at least I think he said 16), and I would like to try a few more.  I have sampled beer from Hoppy's, another local that has a very nice restaurant and bar.   We have gone their a few times to celebrate different family occasions.

Thanks to commenter Clark Rambling who reminded me that Yuengling beer is locally owned (Pennsylvania) and is available in the east.  I love Yuengling and drink it when I'm in the east.  To my knowledge it isn't sold here, although I should try one of the warehouses such as Bev Mo to see if they carry it.

I've covered two of my favorite things - fresh produce and beer!  Here are some pictures from last night.  (Click on a photo to enlarge.)


   









I think I'm going to zone out for the rest of the day.  Reaching and celebrating 74 can tire a person out!



6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday and many more!!.... I made it to Florida and just in the last couple weeks I was finally able to start the books you sent me.. I love them already and I'm only halfway through the first book.. thanks again for sending you to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHEDAY! Farmers market and brewery sounds like a nice day. You can definitely live on vegetables alone. Look at all the healthy vegans. In fact, according to some pretty amazing scientific research by Caldwell Esselstyn in his book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, it's the healthiest way to live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fresh veggies are good and even better with beer:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fresh veggies at Farmer Markets.

    Sounds like you had a really nice birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wished I could agree with you about the beer & veggies but I never drank a beer I liked & until they can come up with veggies that taste like donuts I'm afraid they are not going to be on my favorites list either. Congrats on 74:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy [belated] birthday! Looks like such fun. :)

    I have to catch up and see what else you have been up to busy lady.

    And if you're 74, I'm the Pope. :P Must be nice. :)

    ReplyDelete