Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A great surprise

I went to Jeannie & Donald's yesterday afternoon and stayed with the girls for about an hour while their parents attended a parents/teacher conference.  We spent the hour reading - Autumn read me a chapter book, and Arianna read me one of her books (she is in kindergarten and learning to read - doing quite well at it).  

The doorbell rang just about the time J&D were to arrive back home, and to my great delight it was my oldest son Mike, from NY.  I knew he was a little south of Monterey for a few days attending a class (military), but was still surprised to see him at the door.  He would drive back to the airport hotel, San Francisco airport, and leave this morning for NY. 

Then, Megan arrived with Liam - son Steve was out of town on a business trip.  And finally, Joe, Sarah and their two (Keira and Alyssa) came.  Donald had cooked one of our favorites, Cincinnati chili, with all the toppings that go with it.   It was delicious and the conversation was wonderful.

At one point they were all moaning about how their kids get into bed with them during the night.  I listened for a while and then told them, "I'm not the least bit sorry for you guys - you all got into bed with your dad and me when you were little."  They laughed and recounted how we had a double bed (as opposed to their king size beds and 2 kids each) and four children.  It drove Bill crazy but I don't remember it bothering me at all.  Actually I sort of liked it.  Most of the years I was nursing a baby and kept him/her in bed with me throughout the night anyway.  I was lazy and didn't want to keep having to get up and interrupt my sleep, and it was just easier to keep the baby with me.

We laughed a lot at events back then, and now.  Their children are replicas of themselves, and I love them all dearly - parents and kids.

The party broke up at about 9pm - kids needing to get to bed so they could get up for school in the morning - Mike driving that trip back to San Francisco, and me being an old lady and wanting to be home and in bed at a decent hour.

(Please click on the picture to enlarge it.)
Mike and Liam:


Mike with the crew:





Me with 3 of my babies.  Wish Steve could have been here too:



Today is my dental appointment, and fortunately for me Joe has a day off work and can drive me to the dentist.  I can legally take a valium - not sure if I really need it - I can't tell any difference in how I feel with or without it and I am perfectly lucid, but just more calm throughout the dental procedure.

I feel great right now, and it's always energizing to be around my kids and grandkids.   Even with as many beautiful places in the country where I could live, I wouldn't trade this for the world!

6 comments:

  1. What a WONDERFUL mini reunion and what a gorgeous family you have. Do you really have 8 grandbabies? WOW! I bet it was the best time. [I am grinning from ear to ear - this post makes me so happy].

    The only babies with had in bed with us were like you when you nursed. I too was lazy and am such an incredibly light sleeper I knew I would never roll over on them. That was my favorite way to feed them. The only kid that tried [succeeded and still tries] to sleep with us is Wallene - our youngest at 17 yo. She is a goof.

    I wouldn't have minded it at all either. :)

    So glad you had a nice visit, although Steve couldn't be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family is the most important thing, and it is wonderful that you have such a loving family with most of them close by you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty clear why you keep hanging around San Francisco. That's a great group you have there.What fun for them to surprise you. Good luck at the dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful surpirse. You have a great family always so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being with family is the best! Such beautiful grandchildren.

    arlonHboozer.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look so very happy in the pictures! ;->


    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete