Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, June 19, 2014

My favorite shopping place

Of course I'm talking about Costco.  I love shopping there mainly because of the merchandise available, but also because every single one of the large staff is friendly, helpful, courteous, and there are more adjectives I could come up with - all great!  The customers are the same - not what you find in many of the large box stores.  I think if you are treated right there is less reason to push, shove, block aisles, or be grumpy.   

I charged up the battery to my camera yesterday and wanted to take a picture of something to make sure I got the battery loaded properly.  So here are some of the items I bought today.  (Click on picture to enlarge)



Going clockwise there are apricots on the left, grapes, pineapple, blueberries, and cherries.  I also bought a bag of frozen blueberries for my protein shakes.  The frozen berries seem to give the shakes a more robust color and flavor than do the fresh.

I also bought myself a pair of capris as well as iron and the vitamins I take for aging eyes.  Although tempted to buy more ice cream I held off, at least until I finish what I have left in the freezer.   I am going to cut back on some of those delicious hi-cal desserts - not give them up altogether, but just be more careful to ration them.

I met Donald at the gym yesterday since Jeannie & Autumn had other appointments and Arianna didn't want to go to the gym's playroom by herself.   Donald talked me into bench pressing the 45# bar (with no additional weights on the ends).  He stood behind the bar and took some of the weight off it as I tried to lift it.  I think I'm ready to go to the next step in lifting, and it's nice to have someone helping.

I wish I had done this when I was a few years younger, as there is only a certain level I can achieve at my age.   The monthly gym fee is the best money I've ever spent on myself!   That and organic food (which I've been buying for years).

I'm still looking for an older black lab (preferably a male).    I guess if I'm meant to have one the perfect dog will find me.  It seems that most of the shelters in Central CA contact Central CA Lab Rescue when they find a stray lab or take in a dog that can no longer be cared for by its owner.  That means that the local shelters don't keep labs, and you have to go through CCLR to get one.  In one way it's great because the labs are checked over pretty thoroughly and then fostered.  If you adopt one, you will have some idea about them from their foster.  But you have to pay a hefty fee, plus meet the organization's criteria.  I don't have a fenced in yard which they prefer, but I walk my dog as often as needed.  I have laminate floors rather than carpet, and have noticed that some fosters report their dogs don't do well on laminate.  I'm torn between wanting a pet and having to jump through hoops to be allowed to adopt a dog of my choice.  I guess I should just enjoy the freedom I have to come and go as I please, but it would be so nice to have a living, breathing companion in my house (and a dog is easier to deal with than a man :-)  

7 comments:

  1. That fruit looks great - I haven't broken down yet and paid for fresh cherries. While in Albuquerque next week, I'll check out Costco and see how much they want $$$.

    It would be nice to have the freedom from a pet, but I think they are worth it. You'll find the right dog when the time is right for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure do understand that last line of yours but for me I would just substitute the word man with the word......'people'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you looked at Craigslist for a dog? Just trying to come up with ideas for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I don't know Judy, you can train a man about as well as a dog. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fruit looks so beautiful. I want to join Costco but things keep coming up to take over that money.

    Love you comment about that a dog is easier to take care of a man. LOL I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you considered fostering? I have a neighbor who does it and loves it. She likes to be able to go on vacation and wants her freedom at times. She can do it fostering. I'm not totally sure how it works, but it might be something you could look into.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally agree on the man/dog comment. Also, about pets being a double edged sword. I enjoy my newly rescued cats, but suddenly have some of my future plans needing to be modified. Where I live now there are several folks who will stop in and check on them when I take short trips. My ability to just buy an RV and take off is now definitely complicated, though. Then again, who knows when I'll be able to do that anyway.

    ReplyDelete