Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Good start to the day

As I had a few things to hang on the clothesline across the street, I took my camera along.  Here are a couple of photos  showing the oleander (I'm taking some shears when I go back and try another cutting or two), as well as the orange tree.  A year or so ago I picked up one of the fallen oranges, but it wasn't sweet at all.  Too bad because the ones hanging over into the courtyard have no one to pick them.  Click on the photos to enlarge.



Sorry about the clotheslines getting into the picture but I couldn't figure out a way to avoid them.

My muscles are sore this morning but I think I'll get over it if I keep moving around (and stay off the computer!).   I love the results I'm seeing in the mirror, although I still have a ways to go.  At least I don't look like a telephone pole when standing sideways!

Having the windows open and screens with small holes in them, I'm noticing bugs in the house now and then.  As long as I've lived here I've never seen more than a little spider (and I don't mind spiders as long as they don't invade my personal space.)  The time has probably come that I should take everything out of the kitchen cabinets and clean them, but there are lots of things I should do - like steam clean the floors.  I'm thinking about it but so far haven't made a move to do anything.  I just hate moving furniture around.

It was blissfully bordering on cold last night, and I love the cold breeze blowing in over the bed.  I was snug, wrapped up in my  comforter, whereas a couple of nights ago I didn't even sleep under a sheet it was so warm.

I've been watching a lab rescue website for a dog I might be interested in, but their adoption fees are so expensive.   Last night I looked at the SPCA shelter closest to me but everything on their website was a pit bull or a chihuahua (sp?), and I don't want either.  It looks like the lab rescue organization takes labs from all over central CA and puts them in foster homes until they can find a them a permanent home.  You get a break in the adoption fee for senior and special needs dogs, and I one of the benefits from using the lab rescue site is that the foster parents can give you a better assessment of the dog and it's temperament than just walking by a cage at the SPCA.  I'm still asking myself if I want to take on caring for another dog.  What do I do with the dog when i go to the gym?  Lady was fine being left alone for a while, but I took her everywhere I could and when I couldn't, she always knew I'd be back.   A new dog wouldn't know that at first, and the hot weather ahead would make it impossible to leave an animal in the car even for a few minutes.  I know I probably shouldn't get a dog, especially living in a house with no yard to speak of.   Lady didn't mind being in the house as long as she got her walk at least twice a day.  I need to do a lot more walking than I do currently, so a dog would be an incentive.  I think if the "right one" becomes apparent, I'll do it.  I prefer a male black lab, at least 6-8 yrs old or more.   I'm open to suggestions on other places to look for a black lab. 

8 comments:

  1. You can buy sliders to put under your furniture legs to be able to move furniture easily. I use them, they're great, takes no effort at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Gypsy. Good luck with the oleanders. There are lots of them here in our neighborhood in TX. Something that makes me smile--- maybe you will, too! Many years ago; don't remember if it was kids or grand kids watching Mr. Rogers. Remember how he always talked so seriously with the kids who were watching? Well, this particular day he explained to them that " 'thinking about doing something' is not the same as doing it." In other words, you have to get up and close the door; thinking about it won't get it done. How many times over the years I have wished that I could "think it" and the job would be done! You reminded me of that when you said you were thinking about things you need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took some rose cuttings and dipped the ends in the root starter powder I got at Walmart and stuck them in a pot of soil. The pot was under our carport and mostly in the shade except in the morning. All three started growing and made rose bushes. I don't know if that would work with other plants.

    Most of the rescue places won't even consider anyone that doesn't have a fenced yard. We live on a farm and they wouldn't consider us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet the smells are wonderful! glad you had a nice day ... ;) I'm partial to nice days, m'self...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't want a Pitbull either, and as for Chihuahuas, I dearly love Katie, but the shedding is just terrible with this breed. I wouldn't get another Chihuahua unless it was a really tiny one.

    One thing, though, as a senior citizen, I paid only $50 for Katie. She was 1.5 years old, spayed, had all her shots, etc. It was an excellent price. If you see a dog you love, ask about discounts for your age or income level. You never know.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I paid $100. for Fred and it include being fixed, chipped and all shots.
    He is a true love and very smart. The way I travel he is the perfect size. We all have our favorites sizes. Hope you can decide what is right for you and be happy with it.

    I open all the windows in the morning and turn on the ceiling fans until it starts getting to warm. It's nice to be able to open up the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marty, please call me Friday.
    Love,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of people in Del Rio have orange trees but do not pick them because they say they are bitter, but they sure look pretty.

    When I got the first and only dog I have ever had I went to the SPCA and literally cried my eyes out when I saw so many animals needing a good home.

    I ended getting my dog from CAP even though my husband at the time did not want to take me there fearing I would started balling there too.

    ReplyDelete