Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, June 5, 2017

Visit to the chiropractor

Today was the day I got the results and xrays from my last retest.  I've been going to this chiropractor for about 2 years now, and thought I might want to cut back to only once a month or so to save money, for one thing.  But I recently was so surprised when the endocrinologist said to me "You have such good posture".  I have never been told that in my life, in fact, it brings to mind a humorous event of my high school years.

I was a senior at a very small Catholic girls high school in the mid-late 1950's.  The principal taught our class, and she was a very strict but loving old nun (I thought she was old then but she was no doubt middle aged).  My desk was right in the front row, immediately in front of her desk so she could keep a sharp eye on me.  She was always telling me to sit up straight, and one day I came to class to find a poster affixed to the front of my desk so that it stood up and was visible to me as well as to the entire room.  It showed a stick figure at a desk with the big caption "Sit straight and tall".    So that is how long I had been slouching when I first saw a chiropractor.

My xrays showed a huge improvement, as did all the measurements taken.  In some way they can tell how off balance you are, and when I first went my head was 18# to one side, the beginning of the second year it had been corrected to 8#, and today it was down to 2# off.  I don't really understand those measurements, but they make an impression on me nonetheless.   I decided to sign on for another year's contract, going every two weeks.

We talked about my thyroid and he is going to work on that (beginning with today).  Everything in the body is connected in some way to the spinal cord, which is how he can affect the thyroid.  I'm not saying he will heal it entirely, but I look forward to improvements.  Sister Owen Marie would be proud of me! 

Since I sit with my computer on my lap for so much of the time, I'm going to see if Staples has one of those tables that can be raised/lowered so that I can stand and see the computer at the right height.  As it is, I'm usually looking down at it which isn't good posture. 

I had several things i thought I might do today, but I decided to just walk at the gym and return home to make a list of what I need to do, rather than wander into stores and spend money on things I don't need.  I feel very good right now and realize I ALWAYS leave the chiropractor's office feeling better and in a much better frame of mind.  That's worth a lot.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Gypsy, sure glad the chiropractor is helping, I remember maybe last summer you posted a morning routine that your Dr. recommends, but I can't find it again. Hope you know what I'm refering to,bi would like to try it. You are so lucky to be able to walk to the gym, drving sometimes seems like such a chore it's not worth going anyplace. Keep up the dedication. Becki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to post it tomorrow. I didn't even remember posting it previously - there are about 20 quick exercises most taking less than a half-minute each. Would that be the one you are referring to?

      Delete
    2. Yes, that sounds like it. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't agree more that everything is related to and connected to the spine. My chiropractor is also wonderful and if I weren't traveling I would see him much more often. I have osteoarthritis in my neck and his adjustments really make a difference. He can pretty much tell what's going on just by looking at me. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a lifetime of slouching, it is something I constantly have to remind myself - sit straight and tall!

      Delete
  3. I slouch especially when I'm tired. Not a good thing but I keep telling myself to stand up. Jim always really like his chiropractor. He definitely felt better after a few adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had gone to a chiropractor sooner in my life than I did, instead of fooling around with doctors who want to only treat symptoms, not find causes. That's my opinion of most of them anyway.

      Delete
    2. I agree and have a lot of respect for my chiropractor. It is a relief when you can finally see some results and not be just "masking" symptoms.

      My chiropractor is into health and herbs and he even bought me a lemongrass plant because he knew I especially liked it.

      Delete
  4. Always good to get great results from the medical folks:))

    ReplyDelete