Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, June 12, 2017

If you want a job done ...

And you know the rest - "you do it yourself"!  Which is what I just did, and had to repair a fingernail I split in the process.

When the boys installed the windows, I moved my queen size bed which was under the window, straight back to the opposite wall and that is how I've been sleeping on it.  Since I've painted around the edges of the window and washed and hung my lace curtains, I wanted the bed back in place.  I'm a firm believer that if you ask someone to help you, you wait and do whatever it is at their convenience and not your own, if at all possible.  Well, I got tired of waiting so I did it myself!  (And that was my choice.)

I had gotten a new bedskirt, and after putting that on I turned the mattress 90 degrees so it wears evenly.  I don't do that as often as I should because it is nearly impossible for one person to accomplish.  I then added a new mattress pad, and finally the sheets I just bought (and don't like the silky feel of), and the comforter, and then pushed the entire thing back under the window.  I don't quite have it centered under the window but I'm finished for today.  I have done this by myself before and it was darn near impossible then, but I'm years older now and it is really quite a feat.  BUT I DID IT!

The bedskirt is just a fraction of an inch too long, but it's going to stay that way for all I care.  I know every time I walk into the room I will notice that it is a fraction of an inch too long!

Another biggie for me today (and anyone just a few years younger than I am probably won't "get it" just yet).  I drove to the Folsom Costco this morning which necessitates getting on Freeway 50 for about 8 miles or so going away from Sacramento.  There was a good amount of traffic but I fortunately got myself in back of a big truck that was traveling about 60 mph, 5 under my speed limit and 5 above the truck limit.  I left enough space that I could see his rearview mirror so I knew he could see me, and it was perfect.  Found Costco with no problems as well as the items I went after (they don't carry the hazelnut coffee beans at my local Costco, and I like to blend them with my regular organic coffee beans).  Coming back the traffic was heavier and I couldn't find a big truck to follow, but I made it with no trouble.  I don't like to drive that trip but sometimes you just have to do the job yourself if you want it done right now.   In my younger years I was never known for my patience, but now I have to be patient most of the time and up to a point.  So I've done my Costco shopping and my checking account is about $165 lighter - of course while I was there I found things I had to have.

I desperately need pants and or shorts to wear during the coming heat wave, and Costco usually has a great selection of shorts, capris, and long pants.  But when the picture on the hang tag shows them on a person from the waist down, and you can see a belly button above the waistband, I know they just aren't my style.  I don't know where I can shop for reasonably priced pants for a woman my age.  I like style but cannot see that anyone's belly button is attractive enough to be shown in public, except only on the very young, or maybe on a beach! 

That's enough of my complaining today.  I have all my windows open and am enjoying the last day in the 70's; tomorrow will be in the 80's; and it will be 90's and triple digits after that.  I'm sure not looking forward to the heat.


7 comments:

  1. I got some shorts at a thrift store and they are also a bit low on my hips. I just leave my top untucked. I don't have a waist to show off anymore so I let my shirt tails show instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that sometimes but don't like the feeling that the shorts are slowly slipping down. I will often tuck a t-shirt in, and that helps hold the shorts up, but I just wish I could find something that I like, not conform to current fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In reading this over I'm not sure I meant that I turned my mattress 90 degrees. What I meant is that I turned it halfway so that the top was at the bottom; I just can't remember how many degrees in a complete circle, and too tired to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You turned it 180*. 😂. I wondered how you were going to sleep with it hanging over the ends like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to read the post after I publish it because I often find typing or spelling errors. That 90 degrees just didn't feel right! I hope most readers follow down the comments so that they know I caught the error!

      Delete
  5. The new mattresses today are so high and heavy there is no turning them. When I asked the man he said he didn't understand why people turn them anymore as they are better made. Who knows, but I do know I have not been or ever will be able to move that mattress. I did find a skirt that has elastic around the top and doesn't go under the mattress. I love it and bought another last year or so and still haven't used because it has to be ironed. the old one I just wash it and throw it in the dryer and it doesn't wrinkle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took the new skirt out of the package and didn't worry about wrinkles. It looks good and I don't see the wrinkles (just as I see fewer wrinkles these days when I look into the mirror!) I still try to turn my mattress because I sleep mostly on one side of it and the other is unused unless I switch sides, as I do now and then to keep from having to wash the sheets - just move to an unused section! Works for me.

      Delete