Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, June 16, 2017

I Never Learn!

You would think in my 76 yrs I would have learned a prime rule, and that is to Never Say "Never".  I have quite a few sewing supplies that I rarely use anymore.   My d-i-l Meg gave Autumn a sewing machine she had used, but Autumn really didn't have the supplies she needs, so I thought, "I will NEVER sew again" and gave her most of my sewing supplies, including all needles.  I did keep a box of straight pins, my good sewing scissors, and 3 spools of thread, but no needles.

I have three long, cool looking dresses and in the 2 or 3 years I've had them I haven't worn them.  They are all too long, and I can't stand to see someone in a long dress that is sweeping the floor and picking up whatever dirt and dust get in its way.  This morning I worked on two of the dresses, measuring where I want the hems, cutting excess fabric off, pinning and pressing the hems - I even got the iron and ironing board out!  The 2 hems are ready to finish but I have looked high and low and cannot find a single needle in my house.  I think I must have given them to Autie.   So knowing how I procrastinate, I might be lucky to wear one of those dresses before the end of the heat wave - say September or so, if we are lucky!

Since the guys and the kids are all up in the cool mountain air, Jeannie and I are going to a pub for supper and a beer when she gets off work.  We are going to try one in Old Fair Oaks Village, which is where I lived in an apartment for a year after selling my RV.  I'm looking forward to it, but won't have a long, summery dress to wear!

 

8 comments:

  1. If you have a hot glue gun you can hot glue the hem down...just don't put the dress in the dryer and it will stay put.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, a hot glue gun in my hands sounds dangerous. I do have a roll of that tape (stitch witchery?) that you can use to bond layers of fabric together. I haven't ever used it because I wonder how it would go through the laundry. I think I will wash these dresses by hand when they need it and hang dry them.

      Delete
  2. Stop by on your way out for the beer and get a package of needles so you can make those dresses useful. I'd love to see you in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is a huge sewing store in Old Fair Oaks that has everything a person could need. I will stop by there and pick up the needles. I think before I can wear any of the three dresses I'm going to have to buy a strapless undergarment. How I hate them!

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't use the iron on tape it will make the bottom of the dress to stiff and it will not lay right. I know this because I did it it wasn't pretty. I would just buy a pkg of needles. Hope you have a wonderful dinner tonight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time, had some good brew with brats & sauerkraut. When Jeannie brought me home she started hanging my family pictures we had taken about a year ago - my kids and grandkids. They are arranged in a "rogues gallery" in my bedroom so that I will see them 1st thing in the morning and last thing at night. Jeannie is such a perfectionist so it took a long time and there are still a couple more to be hung. I'm thrilled to get them on the wall. I'm going to buy needles tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. Glad you had a great time at the pub. Bet you will feel cool and look nice in your new dresses once you get them hemmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter and I have been busy with so many things the last 2 days and I am so tired I don't know when I will ever get those dresses hemmed. Hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow (Sunday) with some energy!

      Delete