Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, June 1, 2017

Going back to hot weather

It's getting warmer each day, and looking ahead for 2 weeks we will be mostly in the 90's.  I'll try not to gripe too much, but you know how I hate hot weather.

Joe returned my car this morning - he had put gas in it and had it washed, neither of which he had to do but I certainly appreciate it.  He didn't stay long  because his buddy came by to pick him up, and it was nice I didn't have to drive him home.   I thought I should go somewhere now that I had my car back, but will only go to the gym this afternoon.

I'm always trying to stay away from the stores because they only entice a person to spend money, but now I'm determined.  I've  put my credit card away and hope to get through the month spending only cash.  When that's gone, it's gone!  I'm tired of carrying a balance on my credit card and am determined to whittle it down.  I think about that old saying, "The best laid plans . . . " and hope I can avoid any hitches in my plan.

There was some excitement behind my house this morning but I didn't hang around to see the outcome.  Three of the maintenance people were in my backyard looking through the gaps in the fence.  Across the way is a paved walk/bike path that runs over to the river, and beyond that is a sort of field backed up by a lot of small trees.  Then there is a canal, although I've never been that far, and finally some light manufacturing buildings.  The homeless often sleep overnight in the field under the trees.

There were two young women who were shouting at each other and cursing, and one man said that one of the women was throwing rocks at the other.  So the law was summoned and the guys were just waiting for some entertainment.  I just came on in the house after a short discussion on the homeless.  My feeling is that I don't care if they sleep under those trees.  They aren't in anyone's way, and while I can sometimes hear voices I think the dogs are a lot more of a nuisance (and I told them so).   The men said that the homeless sometimes come across the fence and have been known to steal from back yard sheds.  I let them know I have NEVER had a problem with theft or the homeless.  And how do they know the people stealing things are homeless anyway. 

So if the police came they didn't have sirens wailing, or else I missed it all which is unlikely since it is so close to my house.   I hope everything was settled amicably.

6 comments:

  1. Yes the heat is on, tomorrow it will only be in the mid 90's and then it will be triple digits for what looks like a week so far. Need to get whatever needs to be done very early in the morning.
    Did you ever look over the recipe for the cloud bread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, but decided that I am long past the point where I will try to make anything like that. For one thing, my kitchen isn't amenable to trying new recipes. Just not enough counter space to put very many ingredients on.

      I don't think I could deal with triple digits.

      Delete
  2. I am glad that temps in the upper 90s are not allowed here in Rockport. Of course in the summer there are nights it does not get below 80 either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The saving grace of living in Sacramento in the summertime is that we get a delta breeze that cools things off at night, and we stay cool until 11AM or Noon.

      Delete
  3. 90 degrees makes me tired just to think if it. I feel so sorry for folks in the Midwest where the summer''s heat keeps them indoors and the winter's cold does too. Terrible place to be retired in. Say, if you are from Ohio and lived in NC, how did most of your family end up in Sac?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of my brothers moved to CA (S.F. Bay area) and then when my Dad died my Mom and youngest sister moved to Sac a year or so later. I never thought about it and was fine living in Cincinnati, but when I went back to work I found the govt agency I worked for was opening up a new district office in Sacramento, so I applied and got the job. I was ready to split with my husband but thought maybe a new environment would make a difference, so invited him to come too, which he did. We lived in Sacramento for about 6 yrs when I transferred to Washington DC; my ex stayed. Most of the kids moved back east but gradually they migrated back to Sacramento where they found jobs, married, and settled down. I never did love Sacramento or CA (and still don't, really) but after a while of living by myself with no family around I moved here and stayed. I miss the east but I guess I will die here. I have a son in NY and always loved to visit that area, but my traveling days are over now.

      I never minded the weather in Ohio although I complained about it probably, but miss the cold winters. You just dress for it and pay for the gas or whatever you heat your house with, and it's a dry cold. Here, it is always a damp cold in the winter that chills me to the bone. Don't get me wrong though, there are a lot of things to like here but it's totally difference from the east, and I wish I could spend more of my time there.

      Delete