Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, January 5, 2015

Yesterday (Sunday) I drove to Costco to fill up the gas tank.  Local news stories say that gas will go up 10 cents/gal. or more in January because of "Cap in Trade", whatever the heck that is.  I think it's a way for the states to charge more tax.  I don't understand the thinking as it has also been reported that consumer confidence is way up, due in part to lower fuel costs.   So California and many other states will add a tax onto the price per gallon, thus adversely affecting those who are being helped by lower costs.  It seems obvious to me that consumers will spend more money and contribute to the economy if prices go down a bit.  California would benefit by collecting more sales taxes, and businesses will benefit as well.   But what do I know - I don't have a degree in economics!

I should have bought gas when I was at Costco the day before, but yesterday the cost had gone down another 2 cents a gallon, to $2.27.   Some of you lucky folks are paying below $2.00, which we haven't seen anywhere for a long time.

I bought a good pair of walking shoes yesterday and tried them out today - walked a mile.  I  should pick up the pace and go for 2 miles, but walking on pavement makes my heels hurt.  The shoes feel pretty good though, and my old ones were shot!  I'm hoping to got to the gym tomorrow and will try to do the same distance on the treadmill.  

I ran my dishwasher this morning but noticed that the items on the top rack had a bit of sudsy residue on them.  I'm not sure what is going on, but I'm aware that this dishwasher is on its last legs, and I need to buy a new one soon.

I can notice the few additional minutes of light each day now, and it is so welcome.   I really don't mind the cold as long as the sun shines at least part of the day.  I believe January will be critical to easing the drought, so I hope we get a couple of weeks of rain during the month.    Personally, I don't think we will get completely over the drought, at least for the next few years. 

My walk made me sleepy, and I'm already in my recliner.......zzzzz.
  


6 comments:

  1. Good for you Gypsy for getting out to walk.. There is a gym in this small town. I know a couple of ladies that go to it. At one point I saw a sign that said six weeks for $15.00. I should have gone back then. They sure mess with us as far as gas etc, although it sure was nice filling up our car close to $ 20.00 compare to what it had been. Get a good nights rest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I'm loving the longer days, even if it's only a few minutes each day. I think the sunshine also really helps. When it's cloudy in the morning and evening, the day seems so short. We've been getting better and better weather here at Imperial Dam LTVA and tomorrow it'll start warming up. Looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope that Texas does not want to impose that tax or a similar one here, I am loving the low gas prices.

    Now that my leg is feeling better and that Walter has "mowed the lawn"...I need to start walking or perhaps jogging around the property. I think I have mentioned it before but it bears repeating...I so envy your exercise ethic!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our gas is down to 1.95 so I will fill up tomorrow. Who would have thought it would ever go under 2. every again.

    Try putting about 1/4 of vinegar in the dish washer the top spinner may be clogged and not shooting out the water. Or like you said it may be on it's last leg. You can save a lot of money if your son can install it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the gas tax was so much a gallon. If the gas is cheaper people will will use more gas and it looks like the state should get more money. Louisiana is taking about raising the gas tax too. I would like to know if all the gas tax goes to repair the roads because we have some of the worst roads. Interstate 10 is so bad in some places I'm surprised that the federal government doesn't fine Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am enjoying the lower fuel prices as long as they last:)

    ReplyDelete