Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Excitement out beyond the weed patch

After wearing myself out walking a mile and a quarter at a very fast clip, I decided it was too early in the day to knock off.  I donned my gardening gloves and carried a big plastic trash bag to the back yard.  After pulling two weeds the gloves came off. (I bought a pack of 6 prs of women's garden gloves at Costco and after giving several pairs to others, I still have a lifetime supply left!)

I was hacking away when I heard a ruckus on the other side of my back fence; they were shouting at each other and I peeked through a hole in the fence to see a big guy on the paved trail yelling for another guy to come and get his dog.  I never heard any barking or growling so I don't know what caused the fury.  Then I saw a very nice tent setup in the trees, between the paved trail and the light industry behind that.  It would seem that he is probably homeless and living in the tent with his dog.  

I don't have a clue how long he's been there, but he's in full sight and there are plenty of people who would love to turn him in for some violation or other.  While I would hate to see a full blown tent city back there, a tent or two doesn't really bother me, especially when I've never heard anything from him or his dog.  There is a locked gate from the mobile home park to the paved trail, and while I know some of my neighbors have complained about things being stolen from their property, it could very well be a resident doing the stealing.  I'm not going to rat the guy out.

There is a couple about 6 houses up the road who have covered their entire yard with artificial turf, and it always looks spectacular!  I wonder how you keep the tenacious weeds from pushing up through it or on the edges.  The folks who live there have a really nice setup with patio table, umbrella, and chairs, and sit outside on summer afternoons sipping something that sure looks refreshing.

I would love to do that except the only space I have for a patio set is in my back yard, with just 8-10 ft or so between my house and the fence.  If I was a younger person I'd probably do it, but it wouldn't be a priority now.  I need a new dishwasher first, and will get one this summer or fall after my travels.  The one I have works, but only.

All this exercise makes me hungry and it looks like dinnertime before 5 pm!

6 comments:

  1. Those people probably laid down a layer of black plastic to stop weed growth before they lay down the artificial turf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't artificial turf have a rubber backing. Don't see how weeds could get through that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have quite the image in my head of you bending over to peek through a knothole in a wooden fence. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been in a few situations myself in past years.. I'm with you about turning him in but someone will..always a tattle tale out there. Weeds are stinkers that's for sure and they are determined with a mind of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you have a porch? Is it to small to sit out there? I love my porch but once summer comes there is no sitting out there, I even tried a fan. I was going to spray the yard today but the fog and then the threat of rain again stopped me. Maybe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel for the homeless guy specially since neither he nor his dog have been a problem before,. I agree with the others, someone will turn him in. Tell him to head to Terlingua...many were homeless when they first arrived and the community is always willing to help them out.

    Those weeds are a bear!

    ReplyDelete