Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

"New" GPS, etc.

I tried out the new maps on the old GPS yesterday, and have mixed feelings about it.  The screen looks different for some reason, or I should say the maps look different.  I still have my old friend, "Lee", the Aussie male voice, calling out "Recalculate" so I felt happy about that.  I think too many people griped about the "Recalculate" thing, but at least it let you know you were off the directions - and maybe it was intentional or maybe it wasn't, but it at least alerted you to the fact that you took a different turn or missed one entirely.  The newer model GPS's just recalculate the new direction from where you are without ever letting you know (unless you are looking at the screen and see it changing).

I think there is so much more volume to the map sets, voice commands, favorites, etc. that it seems to take a long time to load everything up.  After all I've gone through to get the darn update working, I sure hope it performs well and that I'll be happy with it.

QVC asked me to write a review on the elliptical, which I tried to do this morning.  I had to sign in with my acount name and password; then they wanted me to select and answer a security question; then to pick a nickname, but after trying two different nicknames and being told they were already taken, I just quit.  I wrote to QVC explaining that I was trying to do them a favor and not the other way around, but that it's their loss.

I tried out the elliptical at Jeannie's house last night, after watching the kids do tricks on it, Donald looking like an old pro on it, and Jeannie, tentative at first, but then getting into the groove.  Then it was my turn.  Jeannie thoughtfully held my arm so I wouldn't fall (or at least wouldn't fall so hard) and I stepped on the machine of terror.  It wasn't too bad and I was eventually able to balance on it.  But I wanted to look like the models on TV, swinging my butt back and forth and doing curls at the same time with the straps/handles, and generally look like I was having the time of my life.  Instead I probably look like a 74 year old broad who is trying to limber up!  It's going to take a little more practice, I can tell you that.  I left it at their house as Jeanne and I went to the gym.  I probably should practice on the thing with others around rather than at home alone - at least until I get a little more proficient.

The news at the dentist wasn't all that good.  I have a wisdom tooth on the lower left side that has had a root canal and definitely needs a crown ($$$).  During the open season last November I signed up for dental insurance, but found out that while it will cover minor work during the first year, it doesn't cover anything major for the first year.  The cost of the crown is beyond what I can pay right now - I need to direct all the funds I can come up with towards my trip to the east in April.   And as you may have noticed, I've spent some money a little frivolously now and then, such as on exercise equipment from QVC, etc.  I will have to just pay for the crown out of pocket, but hopefully it can wait until August or so.

There you have it!  My aging eyes are giving me fits; my dental situation isn't what I'd like it to be; I can't swing my butt and stay on the elliptical at the same time (although I can walk and chew gum at the same time, that is, if I chewed gum which I don't).   The clock can't be turned back, but to tell the truth, I enjoy it right where I am now.

6 comments:

  1. Just go down to the neighborhood pub and get into a fight. That way you can get all false teeth (grin). Of course if you have false teeth, they can go out at night and you can stay home. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you could come down to Yuma and book a hotel room for a couple of nights and get your crown done for a whole lot less money. I tried using an elliptical at the Y a few years ago and I almost killed myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The elliptical sound like something I can really hurt myself on. But you may get the hang of it and do a great butt swing yet. I had to have all my wisdom teeth taken out do to lack of room for them. I wonder if that is why I am not so bright sometimes. Anyway I can't understand why crowns cost so much and there it is another curve in health care not paying for the big stuff in the first year what a rip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Gypsy your post today sure made me smile and at times laugh out loud! I could just picture you trying to do a butt swing...:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post. You are handling life's crap. I've begun to think that's the point of being young, to learn how to take on being old. Little do they know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My question about the root canal and now a crown on your wisdom tooth is - why not just pull it? I'm all for saving all our teeth and have crowns, too, but I had my wisdom teeth pulled years ago, and I thought most people did. Can you just have it pulled? Cheaper, easy and no more issues.

    I'd love having an elliptical like that - probably a good idea to get good at it before bringing it home - LOL. That will be great to have during rainy days and super hot ones, too, when you don't want to go out and walk. :)

    ReplyDelete