Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Year

I thought I'd spend a quiet new year's eve at home, but ended up staying with the girls while Jeannie & Donald went to an early movie.  

I was entertained by a dance recital, card tricks, an assortment of games, and some good conversation with a 5 and an 8 yr old.  Sometimes that is the best conversation in the world.  I thought it was so sweet that both girls were sort of giving me subtle clues so I could win a few rounds of the games we played.

I spent the night at their house and then drove home fairly early this morning as Steve had said he'd try to come over to fix my dishwasher.  I've been doing without it for over a year, and while I've never minded hand-washing dishes, I notice the glasses and other items are getting a bit cloudy.   It was really cold last night, at least for Sacramento, and my car windows had a film of ice this morning.

LATER:  Steve was able to get my dishwasher going and i am ecstatic that I can maybe use it for a few more months, but I will eventually replace it.  He also has offered me an extra refrigerator he needs to sell on craigslist or otherwise find a home for, and I'm quite happy about getting it.   Mine has gasket problems among several other things, and I know it's days are limited.

We took a look at the small space where I have my washing machine plus use as storage for some boxed materials, painting equipment, etc.    This space was originally a gap between the two roll out rooms - living room and tiny bedroom.  One former owner enclosed the space and made the laundry/storage area, but it was never insulated or finished properly.  The ceiling is just the same as the porch and carport awnings, and there have been leaks in this room resulting in mold spots on the aluminum.  He thinks this could be causing the constant allergy symptoms I have had for quite a while.  If the weather warms up just 10 degrees, I will wash the affected parts of the ceiling with a bleach solution, as well as pull off some of the warped ceiling panels and asbestos insulation that is still up there, replacing them with foam blocks of insulation.   It sounds like a fairly optimistic plan for me, but I need to do something to fix the problems of that room.  I waiver between wanting to find someone to give this broken down place to, as someone gave it to me, and just trying to make a few small improvements at a time and continue living here for the time being.

Before he left, Steve looked at my Highlander to see how we could adapt the cargo area to include a sleeping area for when I'm traveling, as well as storage for my camping gear.  I like to camp in a tent, but when it is raining or windy I would like to have a vehicle to climb into and stay warm and dry for the night. 

I feel good about what I've accomplished today, and this is a good sign for the year to come.  I'm going to travel across country once more, fix up a few things in my living space, and try to get rid of a lot of things I've held on to for so long because I'm a pack rat!  


9 comments:

  1. That asbestos should be moved by a professional. It's dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also agreed, absolutely DO NOT mess with asbestos yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the rest on that asbestos that is some nasty stuff.

    Sounds like a fun way to spend New Years Eve and the entertainment was free! glad Steve was able to fix the dishwasher. I am loving my new one the dishes are so much cleaner and I can fit more in it. Of course today was the exception since I used so many to prepare and then all the dishes everyone brought and we used. I'm sure I could have fit a few more but didn't want to overload.
    Hope Steve can come up with a way to get a set up in your car for camping. Yes you did have a really good start to this New Year, wishing you the best of health and camping time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound ambitious, Gypsy! That's good for us to have some drive in us and not cave in to obstacles. I am back at blogger again.. I will give it another try. Happy New Year to you..

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you had a great start to the new year.

    I am glad Steve was able to fix your dishwasher and then some. I am so excited about your upcoming cross country trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Planning trips is always a fun & exciting time Gives us something positive to look forward to & it's a nice way to wile away those seemingly long winter weather hours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really does sound like you are off to a good new year and are in optimistic spirits. Everything sure came together on this day. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree about the asbestos, I believe it is the law that it has to be done by professionals. I wouldn't be surprised if the black mold has caused your allergies.
    Please have a Happy, Healthy, Wealthy, and Wise New Year. Happy Trails, Penny.

    ReplyDelete