Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Back to sewing

I'm doing marginally better this morning - only slept a half hour later than normal.  For all the napping and lethargy of yesterday I slept so well.  

This is the gloomiest day yet - a foggy mist still keeping the streets wet.  I made an early trip to Costco and decided to top off my tank before shopping.  I can't tell if CA has added the cap in trade tax, but the price has dropped 10 cents a gallon from last week, to $2.17.  I pumped a quarter of a tank for about $10!  I'm sure this isn't going to last; by the time the governments take their cut, the price of fuel will rise again and we'll get a double whammy!  

As for quilting, I sure do need those classes.  Of course, they might not help me sew a straight line!  I've modified the piece I'm working on so as to have all the stripes going the same way.  I have to keep in mind that this is just going to be a small sample and I need to keep in simple.  It's going to be short even for a small table runner, but I'm tired of working with it, so the blocks I have finished are IT!

These are the fabrics I am using; the flash sort of washes out the color density on some pieces.  The "orangey" looking piece is actually more of a melon pink.




I also find that I do not like the rotary cutter, although it is faster than scissors and it cuts through several layers of fabric much easier.  I am going to try using scissors the next time.  One thing I can say is that I have the perfect sewing machine for me.  It sews!  Beautifully!  There are a couple of dials if I want to change the settings, but no computerized features to learn to use.  I'm an old dog and I'm just not as interested in new tricks as I once was.  I wish Lady was still with me - I could tell her all about it and she would understand.  I need another old dog, but definitely not until after my trip.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Gypsy. I agree with you. I like scissors better than the rotary cutter. The cutter is touted as more accurate, but believe me, I can Do more damage to more fabric with that cutter faster than I can with scissors. I looked into taking a quilting class just for the sociable aspect, but, to my dismay, it seems the main idea of the classes is mastering rotary cutting.
    I passed. Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your choice of colors.. What kind of machine do you use? I need to at least make a pot holder.. Only thing stopping me is myself? I haven't tried a rotary cutter, maybe I will pass on the experience.. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the colors and patterns of your material. I never used a rotary cutter or have I heard of one, but I haven't sewn a thing on a machine in years. I did have a guide foot that attached to area next to the needle that kept me from sewing crooked. It was adjustable to the width you wanted for the seem.
    But sure sounds like your getting the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took today. Block class at Jo-anns
    it was fun and I learned a lot might help you in your endeavor

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife uses rotary cutters. They come in different sizes. I would think the larger diameter ones would last a lot longer and be easier to use. But since I have never used any, I don't know what I am talking about.

    ReplyDelete