Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Technology

I started deleting cookies from my computer last night and finished with it this morning.  I'm sure I got rid of hundreds of them.  I'll probably find out sooner or later that I deleted something I should have kept, and it really aggravates me that most of them use digits and letters that mean absolutely nothing to anyone.  I deleted the majority of those.

The MifFi service I have with Verizon expires next month, and I was debating getting internet with AT&T.  When I looked at what it would cost me I was really surprised to find that my TV service will go from $59 a month to $99 a month on Aug. 16.  Note that the $59 is actually about $73 a month after they add all the extraneous charges and taxes.   I really like AT&T Uverse tv, but it isn't worth $100+ a month to me, considering I don't watch sports or movies.  I have been through this dilemma - wanting to watch TV and be on the internet, but not able to find satisfactory service tailored to MY needs.   It seems I have to pay for what other people want.

The MiFi works ok and I can go month to month with it for a while.  I could definitely cut down on my internet usage, and maybe that is an option - I believe there is one that is measured in MB rather than the 5GB I currently have.  I'd definitely have to cut something out, and I already cut most videos and Youtube.

I've been watching the two part series on the absolute lack of privacy in our tech devices.  I only hope that since I don't have a smart phone of any kind, no one will bother trying to tap into or trace my location on my Jitterbug!  For internet browsing I have switched to Duckduckgo.com which keeps no record of your searches.  It seemed strange at first as I was so used to the Google page, but now that I've used Duck for a while I actually like it better.  I also changed my Gmail preferences a while back to not show me ads, so there is probably no reason to scan my emails; AOL is another story and I don't know what they look at.  Both companies provide everything to the NSA.  So using Firefox and Duckduckgo I hope I'm staying off the radar of at least a few companies.  I'd try a new email program that is encrypted, but in reading the info on it I realize I don't understand a damn word of what they are saying.

I'm sure a lot of folks will disagree with me - "I have nothing to hide" is a mantra I have chanted in the past.  But even with nothing to hide, why should I allow unwanted forays into my privacy, and shouldn't one be able to expect a certain amount of privacy when paying exhorbitant amounts for all the technological services and devices?

Joe just left with his two girls - they dropped by for a couple hours' visit.  Now that he works so much of the time I don't see them as often.

I am still in my pajamas at 3pm!  I need to get dressed in anticipation of going to the gym this evening.  


  


7 comments:

  1. There is no such thing anymore as privacy. Lost all our privacy and they are working on our freedoms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a number of ways to watch TV without cable. Many are going to internet based TV with a device like Roku. Once you buy the device-I think $60 dollars, most of the content is free. You use your internet service to watch the TV you select.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to have a phone here at the CG, since there is no cell service, also no TV signal unless I have Direct TV, which I don't want. They pay for basic service. I pay $19.95 /mo for internet, not U verse. If I need to make a long distance call, I just drive up the hill where I get signal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just today I was asked to answer some questions about my DirecTV and I let them know what I thought of all those crappy channels selling junk, jeweler and vacuum cleaners on more than one channel sometime 3. Getting really annoying and now they are even showing soaps on two of the channels I don't even watch them on local why should I pay for them. I'm sure they don't give a crap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When Mom was here I went out and bought a TV and a digital antenna. I get lots of Spanish channels, Gospel, Spanish Gospel, shows that sell stuff, and a couple of PBS channels as well as most of the local broadcast ones. The digital antenna was about $30(?). There is a site on the internet where you put in your location and it tells you what channels you will probably get. You can probably DuckDuckGo it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Verizon plan gives me the option of going as low as 2gb which is what I do when we're in AJ. Now that we're on the road I will increase the gbs when my month is up on the 2nd. We just use the antenna and watch what we can and turn it off the rest of the time. Very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy have you been busy. I just use the delete all cookies option and figure that the ones I actually use will get put back. Hope you figure out which parts of technology are best for you. My attitude is "as little as possible" so I have no ipad/pod or any TV channels. I just use the TV for old videos and DVDs that people either give me or I pick up at Goodwill. Luckily Carrie gives David the latest year of Downton Abbey which I love.

    ReplyDelete