Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Holiday weekend

I have no current plans to do much of anything this weekend.  I did get an early start to the day by driving to the farmers' market.  It doesn't take me long because I have a couple of favorite farmers - one that is totally organic and another that carries the small red potatos I like.  The summer squash is absolutely beautiful, as are the strawberries.  I hesitated as I passed the stall with avocados, but went on as I really don't like avocados enough for the trouble it takes.  If you like them you no doubt think they don't take any trouble at all.  I don't dislike them, but just can't be bothered.

When I pulled into the driveway I noticed the way the sun was shining on my clean windows!  It won't last long, so I'm enjoying looking at them for a few days.

I hate the way the weather forecast keeps changing.  I thought we would be getting cooler weather in a couple of days, but it seems we'll be in the 90's for the next 4 days.  That's too warm to sit outside even if I wanted to.  The only advantage of sitting out in a lounge chair on my driveway is the fact that the next door neighbor has jasmine growing which keeps encroaching on my side of the fence, but the aroma from it is absolutely heavenly.

I haven't yet heard from Jeannie to find out how their trip to Santa Cruz went.  It may have been cold there, as is often the case when the "marine layer" comes in.  Places like Monterey are often foggy and cold, and San Francisco has to be the coldest city in the U.S. during the summer.  I love Mark Twain's comment that "the coldest winter I ever spent was the summer I spent in San Francisco."  So true!   I don't know what it is like now, but when we came to CA in the 1980's very few people in the San Francisco Bay area had air conditioning in their houses or cars.  So when the occasional heat wave occurred they got a taste of what it was like for many of us oldies who grew up in the 40's and 50's without a/c.  It's ironic that I don't have a/c in my home today (although my car has it).  The swamp cooler keeps my living area very comfortable although it gets slightly warmer when I go into the kitchen or bedroom.

Every time I publish a blog I remember something I wanted to write about but forgot.  Then I can't remember it when I'm writing the next post.  Here I am and can't recall what I want to include, but an hour from now I'm sure to think of it!  It is no doubt irrelevant by now.

Have a good weekend.


6 comments:

  1. If it is warmer in the bedroom and kitchen, you need to open a window slightly in each room, to let the inside air escape. For evap coolers to work well, you must have good air movement. If your evap has only one outlet inside, then you should open a window at the opposite end of the house, and each room you want to cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a car without an air conditioner when we lived in the Bay Area. Even now, I rarely turn on the air conditioner in the car we have now. It is a short run into town; not enough time to cool anything down anyway, so rolling the windows down is the best way to cool it off inside.

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife and I eat a lot of avocadoes, in fact we had one with our salad tonight. All we do is cut them in half, remove the big seed, and eat them out of the shell with a spoon. I put a little salt and onion powder on them. Yum, yum, good. No problem at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small red potatoes, small summer squash, strawberries, and avocados. You are a lucky duck! It will be a month or two before I can indulge in those local treats again. No avocados, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had 2 really nice cool days but the heat is on it's way, I could handle the 90's but we are going to be triple digits next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right that if you like a food, it's no problem fixing it. I have no problem fixing avocados, and especially artichokes. I've heard people saying artichokes aren't worth all the trouble they take, but I LOVE them. Just wish they boiled in a shorter time, because I can hardy wait until they are ready. :)

    ReplyDelete