Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Youngstown, OH

This should be my longest day - 405 miles. I left NY at 8:00 am, and stopped at 3:30, plenty tired! I feel sorry for the dog as her space is pretty cramped, so I let her sniff the trees and grass a little longer at the rest stops. There were a few sprinkles now and then along the way, but about 15 miles from my destination the rain poured down. Of course the highway was a long line of trucks in both lanes, assuring the poorest visibility possible. Surely there must be a way to keep the water from splashing up from their wheels, maybe not entirely, but it shouldn't be as bad as it is.

At one point I saw one of those flashing signs that tell you to tune in to AM Radio 1640 and I decided to check it out. I am not familiar with the radio in the Toyota Highlander, although I know how to turn the power on/off and to change the station. I didn't have my up-close glasses on so I just hit the various buttons trying to change it to the AM, and must have hit the CD eject button because a CD came sliding out. It wasn't mine - it is the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - and was no doubt left there by the previous owner. I found the AM station I was looking for which just repeated all the signs I had seen along the route for lane closures, and then put the CD back in.

It was nice to hear, and the kind of music you can't find on radio today. The music was newer although they had one old tune - "Stuck in the Middle With You". That part struck a chord because I certainly had clowns to the left of me and jokers to the right on that crowded stretch of highway!

The room at the Motel6 is nice, and I could have cried with relief when I saw that it wasn't one of those buildings with interior corridors. I hate those things - having to drag the dog's bed and food/water bowls into the corridor plus all the stuff I bring in such as cooler, the bag with my food, computer, etc. It's enough back and forth to the car when it's parked right outside the door.

Saying goodbye to the boys and Sandy this morning wasn't easy. They got up early (actually, on time) this morning and helped me carry the last few items to pack in the car.

I've also said goodbye to New York and Pennsylvania. I think each and every one of the 50 states is beautiful (although I haven't personally confirmed Alaska), but I think I would place Pennsylvania among the top for the pretty scenery. Note that I haven't been in Philadelphia except on Amtrak going from DC to NY, and some parts of the state definitely are nicer to look at than others, but overall, it is right up there in my opinion.

I didn't get any pictures today but maybe I will take some tomorrow. Right now I'm going to enjoy the solitude and just sitting still for a while.

7 comments:

  1. We have gotten so used to our 200 miles or less days that even in a car I'm not sure we could do over 400. Hopefully your weather will improve tomorrow. Just saw there is a tornado, severe thunderstorm, and hail warning out for Helena, MT. Not sure how far east it spreads. So I'm hoping that will be all gone before you get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew... 400 is too much for us!

    Hey, did you get my email I sent yesterday?

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, that's a long driving stretch alright but I figure if a driver is up to it then why not. We never put limits on our distance of travel because each day is different. Just drive as far as you want, depending on how you feel:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet you were just so happy to be on the road again that the 400 miles crept up on you! Glad the motel turned out just right. Enjoy that rest and solitude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All that lugging pet stuff and my stuff in and out of motels, that is why I bought by little B+ motor home. At least I know it doesn't have bed bugs or fleas. It's an oldie, but goodie, and I wouldn't leave home without it!!
    Happy Tails and Trails, Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you're "On the Road Again!" Sounds like the first day went well, and it's always nice to have a good room at the end of the day.

    I found a CD in a car once, too. I forget what it was, but I didn't like it, so I tossed it.

    Safe driving tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete