Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Redding, CA

I arrived in Redding, CA at 3:30 pm and got the shock of my life when I opened my car door at the motel and stepped into a furnace. It is 103F here, and I've spent the last two months in beautifully cool temperatures. I haven't checked to see what Sacramento is like, but Redding is always hotter. (Just checked and Sac is 96 with a low of 59 tonight--Redding's low will be 70, so I'm going to get an early start in the morning. Just 3 hrs or so and I'll be back home. It's not hard to believe I was cold at Crater Lake this morning at 7600 feet in elevation!

When I came through Redmond OR yesterday I saw a billboard advertising an Italian restaurant, and the big caption read: "Legalize Marinara". I thought that was pretty funny, and then today I drove through Weed, CA. The signs here say "I Love Weed".

This picture was taken yesterday, and shows the river between Washington and Oregon - the hills are on the Washington side. I love photos that depict reflections.


Entering Crater Lake area:


Now I'm going to inundate you with snow pictures:







I saw a pull-out and decided to see what view could be seen. I was so glad I did, and you can see a rushing stream to the right of center in the picture.



I met two very nice couples who travel together - one from Massachusetts and the other from Arizona. I took their picture, and they were kind enough to take mine. We had a nice discussion about traveling, the National parks, and so on. It made the stop worth-while, in addition to the views.



Further down the hill was a turn-out for a rest area, so Lady and I took a walk around. This building is a snow shelter, and I suppose since parts of the Park are open for winter recreation, it could come in very handy. I could easily make this building my home:




And finally for today, a shot of beautiful Mt. Shasta taken through buggy windows!


This journey is nearly over, and I'm already planning the next one, but in the meantime I want to come back to Crater Lake and do some tent camping. Maybe in the early fall, when the bulk of the tourists will be gone and before the snows start to fall. There is so much to do and see here, but I think I need to leave the dog at home.

I will close with something that comes from my heart. "God bless Teddy Roosevelt!!!" He had such great foresight to see that the nation needed to protect its wilderness and lands that would otherwise be developed and desecrated.

(By the way, I haven't found the connector cord that allows me to upload my pictures from the camera to the computer, but DUH!, I realized I could remove the memory card in the camera and insert it into the computer.)

11 comments:

  1. Great pictures, but I am sure you and Lady will be glad to get home.

    Thanks for sharing, and Happy Tails and Trails, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmnnnnn, I had a similar 'duh' or 'ahaaa' moment not too long ago when I had left my connecting cord behine at my sister's place.

    Really wonderful photos this evening Gypsy -- isn't it amazing that out here in CA (and OR) we can experience colder temps and snow still on the ground and 103 degree weather within a few hours driving distance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your gorgeous pictures. But talk about going from one extreme to the other. Snow to 103. Those 'duh' moments are happening to me way too often any more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like I notice those looping glasses holders in your picture. I've given up on that and just wear my glasses. Hate to admit it, but I need them all the time. :(

    Hope you enjoyed your drive back to Sacramento.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifil! I believe it's a must see ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should have thrown some of that snow in the car. What a difference a day made.
    Yes leave Lady home for your next trip I bet she would like that. Glad she is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful pictures, wish I were there. BTW, how is Lady doing now? Hope she is getting back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the snow pictures...helps with the nineties heat in Texas...well, sort of. Just love the photos of Crater Lake and hope we get to go soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW snow and then 103 degrees. That must have been a shock. Glad you are closing in on home and planning your next trip. I just knew you wouldn't be able to stop traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just the other day I said thank heavens for Teddy !!! There would not be Yellowstone Park --one of my favorites Bully as he would say
    ay!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to get to that area. It's beautiful!

    Thanks so much for letting us travel with you and to top it off to meet you in person. I'm sure our paths will cross again someday.

    Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete