Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, September 13, 2010

Where do I begin?

As usual, I spoke too soon in my last blog entry. I have complained all throughout my recuperation period of blurred vision, off and on. It finally cleared up and I was declared fully reovered from the cataract surgery. The glasses I ordered finally came in last Friday, and what a disappointment! About a week ago the blurred vision had came come back, not constant and not much of a detriment to driving, but annoying in that I still can't read very well.

I stopped by the eye clinic and saw the doctor, who found I had a condition whereby there is an accelerated loss of cells that draw moisture off the cornea. I was diagnosed with this condition 20 years ago but have never had a problem with it, until now. The doctor was encouraging, and said that although the disease was present in both eyes, it certainly was not the worst case scenario. He proposed to treat it with saline drops 4x a day, and more often if I need it, and he will monitor the condition. My follow-up appointment is December 10, and I thought I would be miles away by December 10.

I've decided to stay here for now, and depending on how things are in December, I might start traveling again. By then I may as well complete the term of the lease, as it would cost me two month's rent to break it, and the lease expires the end of March. If I feel like it I will just vacate and go back to full time traveling. I will just have to wait and see what happens. But in the meantime, I am in a very good spot for accessing year-around camping, and I hope to do some of that very soon. This latest development really put a damper on my eagerness to do anything, though, and I will have to see how I react to the eyedrops. Of course, the pharmacy with its usual efficiency doesn't have the product on hand, so I have had to wait until this afternoon and hope they get it in.

I don't know why all this is happening to me, and with this particular timing. It seems that when I'm not supposed to do something a roadblock appears, and I guess it keeps me from making terrible mistakes. I trust the Universe to keep me on track, and will deal with whatever comes my way. The doctor touched one of my big secret worries, and assured me that my eye disease will not result in blindness. It is possible that in the future I will have to have a transplant(s), but probably not the entire cornea. They now can transplant the channel that holds the cells, which is at the lower part of the eyelid. He said the operation is safe and quick, and effective in almost all cases. I'll accept it if it comes to that.

I am very thankful that I had the opportunity to live the full-timing life that I did, and really hope to get back to it, but it may come down to part-time travel. Right now I am certainly down, but don't count me out yet!

12 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time of it. There must be a reason why you're not supposed to travel this Fall. I hope it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear the news Gypsy...but...if the drops make good things happen for you, you will be in great shape for most anything you want to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That news is kind of discouraging, Gypsy, but the good news is the problem appears to be treatable. I hope those eye drops do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very discouraging and not what I had hoped to hear from you. Life is a series of trials and we have to learn to make the best of whatever situation we end up in. Easy to say, not easy to do. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Egad! What next? You've had a few more stone days than diamonds lately. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catching up on your posts today here at McDonald's. Very sad to read about your latest eye problem but I think the drops will help a lot. (Power of positive thinking here) Your plan for the remainder of your lease period sounds good. Not what you had hoped for, but it is workable. Hope we will get the chance to see you in December. We plan for at least 3 days in Isleton. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart is with you, I've had some big set backs here too but don't know enough to blog about it yet! Maybe I'll go this winter and maybe I won't.

    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart and prayers are certainly with you. I hope the drops work and maybe everything will fall into place in the spring. God works in mysterious ways. I am a firm believer in everything happening for a reason. At least you won't have to woryy about breaking your lease. Sometimes they can be a real bitch...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my Gypsy, so sorry to hear this news. As Sandra said, there must be a reason to put the travel plans on hold. I think my mom had a similar problem and the drops did wonders.
    Thoughts and prayers are with you..
    Arlene (Leno)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the drops will help your eyes. I think you will get back on the road again, you can't keep a good woman down!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, you sure have got your plate full over there. I know that going it alone has it's advantages but I think in the long run we all need a good person to share our ups & downs. Someone to help with the heavy load. Both Kelly & I are loners & yet when we met, the chemistry was unusually & surprisingly right & we have been together now for over 17 years (I've been married 4 times) & still allowing each other to be our own separate person. I'm thinking you are at a point in your life now where the exact right soul mate could cast a lot of sunshine into your darkened corners. Maybe I'm way out to lunch here....but I don't think so. Oh, & how did I meet Kelly? I put an ad in a newspaper & she answered it:)))))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hang in there. Even though these problems keep popping up, it seems that you have the ability to overcome. Keep up a positive attitude.

    ReplyDelete