Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Air cards; Costco

Whenever I've raised the subject of air cards some folks say that they have had great service with Verizon. I will probably get a Verizon Mifi, but will never get another air card. The part that plugs into the computer has come a bit loose, and if I want to set the computer on my lap it invariably disconnects. Sometimes I have to push the card so that it isn't angled away from the part that plugs in. USB's may work fine if you can just plug them in, preferably to a desk top, and don't have to move around much. I'm on my 2nd air card in less than 2 years and I don't think I'm that hard on it, so I think the design and the quality are both lacking. The card is simply too heavy to hang on the small plug.

My selection will no doubt be the credit-card size Mifi which doesn't have to be physically connected to the computer. Also in answer to one comment I received, I believe the 3G store sells an antenna for the Mifi, although I don't know if there is a port on the card itself - that would be a negative to me if there is. While I was waiting for delivery of a replacement air card last winter I was able to use a neighbor's Mifi, and it worked fine without her having an antenna.

Finally, in response to one more comment, I don't think the air card sends out a signal that can be picked up on another's computer. For one thing, on the Mac I "turn airport off" when using the air card, so I have no signals coming in or going out. Not sure exactly how the air card works though, from a technical standpoint.

Now for a small plug for Costco. About two weeks ago I started using Muro 128 5% solution in both eyes, 4x a day. I bought it OTC at my regular pharmacy, and it cost $22.50 for 1/2 oz. Since it is OTC I don't get my special BCBS rate but have to pay the entire cost. Today I bought the same drops at a Costco pharmacy for $22.50 - but it was for a full oz. I have switched pharmacies since my visit to the doctor, but I'm wondering if I should just use Costco while I am in the vicinity. I just love that store!

I took a couple of pictures today that I'd like to share. Miss Perpetual Motion does take a break now and then! (That is a little butterfly tattoo on her cheek - easier and quicker than face painting!)


11 comments:

  1. My sprint aircard is three years old and on its second laptop. No trouble at all. It has been to some high mountains, splashed in saltwater several times, dropped contless times, desert dusted many time, sun fried in Big Bend and is still running fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute photos today. It is always nice when they take a bit of a nap....no matter where it happens to be.

    We used to use the Costco pharmacy and refilled prescriptions wherever we were. We even got my Mom's cancer medication at the Costco in Boston when we were there on a vacation. So when you are able to travel again, it might work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute baby. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to just drop off like that, no worries what so ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute baby pics, Grandma! I'm sure you'll like the MiFi and Verizon's service if you go that way. If you can't get a signal with Verizon, it's unlikely that AT&T or Sprint would get one either. Verizon, by all accounts, seems to have the best overall coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a little cutie! The harder they play, the harder they sleep. Thank goodness!
    I love Costco. Lots of things are 50% of the prices in other stores. I get whatever I can there. If the item size is too big, I'll go somewhere else, but certain things I always buy at Costco.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. We like our Verizon & will probably be looking into some additional things like Mifi as well because we want to be able to both use our computers at the same time. It's all kinda confusing to me with all this Mifi, Wifi, Hifi, stuff but I imagine Kelly will be able to figure it all out. If it wasn't for her & would still be back at the pencil & paper stage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gypsy, we used air cards for a while, and have moved on to Verizon's MiFi, for the same reason Al mentioned - so both of us can be online at the same time. Absoloutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a tech dummy, but I know a cute baby when I see one. Hope Grandma got a little nap too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a Mifi and love it. I had the same trouble with the aircard that you have. You might want to look at the Palm Pre. It is a telephone and a Mifi all in one, and the internet only cost $30 instead of $60. At least I think that was what I was told.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We broke that tiny prong in the AT&T aircard first time we used an antenna, and they would not honor the warrenty because they said you are NOT supposed to use an antenna. Duh? Then why put the antenna jack on there? Had to buy a new aircard at full price. ACK

    We now plug the aircard (and carefully the antenna too in the jack) into a Cradlepoint router so both Steve and I can be on at the same time.

    PLUS we don't have that delicate aircard hanging off the side of the laptop anymore. It's now up high on the entertainment center where it won't get bumped.

    Cradlepoint makes a travelling router with both AC and DC cords. $99 at Best Buy.

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spicy Artichoke Jalapeno Dip

    If you like spicy, you need to try this dip! It is always a hit!

    *

    1 C mayo
    *

    1 block of cream cheese (room temperature)
    *

    1 C grated Parmesan cheese
    *

    1 can diced green chiles
    *

    2-3 diced marinated jalapenos
    *

    1 can artichoke hearts chopped (not marinated)

    *

    Mix all ingredients together and bake at 350° approx 15-20 mins (just until cheese is melting and dip starts to brown). Serve with tortilla chips. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete