Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A First for me!

I was so excited last night I could hardly go to sleep. Here's what I did for the first time in my life.

I have been doing some light exercises for my arms and upper body strength, in anticipation that I might have to go back to the 5th wheel. That bar isn't easy to pull, and I've always just barely been able to maneuver it. So I use two cans of Campbell soup as hand weights and do a few exercises in the morning and evening. I took Sunday off during the two week period I've been exercising.

Another exercise I do that is supposed to strengthen shoulders and upper body, is called something like "wall push-ups". You stand back from the wall just a bit, arms stretched out at shoulder height, and do the push-ups against the wall. I read on a website that you do this "until you can do the regular push-ups". Hmmmmm, I thought. I was always under the impression that women couldn't do regular push-ups. (I was raised in "that era" and this is just one of the few ideas I never threw off.)

Last night just before going to bed, I decided to see if there was any hope of me ever doing a regular push-up. I shoved Lady out of my way (she is always in my way), got down on the floor and actually pushed myself up. I was so excited and then began to doubt I actually did it, so I tried it again. I DID TWO PUSH-UPS! The real Army kind! I was whipped, I'll tell you, but I managed to get off the floor and crawl into bed.

I kept waking up from the aches in my arms and shoulders, but I just smiled and told myself, "No pain, no gain", and fell back asleep.

I would like to thank Anonymous, who made a comment on my blog yesterday, saying that it takes a little while before the eyedrops make a real difference. I'm relieved to hear that, because after a day of using them I was expecting some sort of miracle. If I could only learn how to exercise patience.

11 comments:

  1. WOW...great going on the push-ups Gypsy. Maybe someone has a competition us seasoned folks can enter to show our athletic abilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Gypsy. I tried a push up once..crushed both arms:((

    ReplyDelete
  3. All things cometh, to he who waiteth, if he worketh like hell, while he waiteth. Way to go Gypsy!! Give the meds a little time and keep a positive outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Gypsy, you're too push-ups ahead of me, now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said you needed to "exercise more patience" but I'd say you been doing a lot of exercising lately! Congrats on your workout routine. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! Getting that hour glass figure back? You will have the fellas after you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear regular exercise can be addictive, but that may be just a rumor :) You are several push ups ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow.. good for you! You just keep on going and going and going!


    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm afraid if I got down on the floor to do push ups, I wouldn't get up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Gypsy, please don't say "Lady is always in your way", I wish my little Levi was still with me, though he knew to stay out of my way. I would love for him to "be in my way", now.

    Good about the exercising, maybe one day you can graduate to bigger soup cans!

    I would try the wall push-ups, but I can't find an empty wall!

    As for push-ups, I, like Judy, would have to find a handle strong enough to help me get up again! Or maybe if I did them next to my grooming table, I could use the hydraulics to raise me!

    ReplyDelete