Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, September 24, 2010

The mercury's climbing . . .

. . . up into the 90's for the next 5 days, and uncomfortably close to 3 digits for some of those days. I still can't complain about my apartment, which is cool day and night, but I don't like to be out in the afternoon which limits my mobility even more than it already is.

I baked the loaf of bread a couple of days ago and it was delicious. I have found that bread machines seem to make a more dense loaf, but maybe that is due to other factors besides the machine. Now that I'm developing some muscles in my arms, I am about ready to try making bread the old-fashioned way. It sure worked for me in the l970's, and I hope I can come close to the way I want it to be.

As for exercises, I've completed the week and now have a two-day period of R&R. Next week I will try the 2# weights and see how that works. I am very pleased with the results so far.

My recent post on the problems with buying a new GPS were meant half seriously and half in jest. If I can go back to RV living and traveling I will probably want an updated system, or at least will try again to get updated maps for the one I have. But most likely I will keep my old GPS because it has enough features I never use without adding a few dozen more that I don't want or need.

All I really need is someone to call out to me, "In 2 miles exit left and keep right". That gives me a good picture of what I will need to do without waiting until I get there and have to do a quick job of reading and mentally processing a dozen signs. For this purpose a GPS is a godsend to a solo driver.

It has been my practice for a number of years to travel with a box of maps - state maps, regional maps, US map, and many maps of the National Forests. Even when I traveled in my Jeep I would carry this box into the motel room with me in the evening and pore over my route taken for the day and what I expected to do tomorrow. I folded the appropriate maps and highlighted the route so that I could pick up a folded map and see exactly where I wanted to travel. I continued this practice with the RV, and I believe I took a picture of a campsite last year in Alabama with the box of maps sitting on the picnic table. In nice weather I love to sit outside and spread out the maps, and Lady always enjoyed being in the fresh air too.

So I could never abandon something that gives me so much pleasure as the stock of paper maps I keep, but I would be bull-headed to rely on paper maps alone at this time of my life when there is a device to assist me when I need a bit of assistance.

After a short period of time with little or no trouble getting connected to the internet, the past few days have been terrible. In the mornings the connection doesn't hold so I usually carry the laptop, antenna and mouse out to the patio where it is slightly better. But even then I have problems. This morning I couldn't leave comments on some of the blogs I read. I always think I'll go back and try later, but usually end up forgetting which ones I need to go back to.

If I can hold on until the beginning of January, my contract with AT&T will be up, and I can get something else. That something else looks to be the MiFi, although I don't expect good service from anything these days. What has happened to this country, when you can't count on things working the way they are supposed to.

I the end I will probably go with MiFi which will cost me close to $70/month with a 2-year contract. And then I will no doubt have to buy an antenna to get decent coverage with it. I sometimes wonder if it is worth it. I spend so much time on the computer every day I suppose it is well worth it!

12 comments:

  1. I think the GPS instruments are a wonderful invention. But isn't it terrific to just be able to open that map or that atlas when you want to plan a trip or a route? Wow, I just don't think you can beat that method for planning. As for finding your way once you are on the route, the GPS wins. I love maps (especialy a certain lighthouse map) and get so much pleasure looking them over. I may need a 12-step program for it even. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would rather go without my cable TV, my telephone, and any other subscription than go without my Internet. I don't think I am addicted but it has become necessary, unfortunately. I enjoy it. It certainly beats the heck out of anything on TV, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to hear that you are happy with your exercise program. I really should do the same but I guess I am pretty lazy. I also spend too much time at the computer when I feel well. On the other hand I have learned a lot because of being on the Internet. I love being able to google just about anything and find answers to my questions. Hope your weather does not get too hot. We are expecting a good storm here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that things are going well with the excercise program that you are doing. We use our GPS all the time! Just a note on the Mifi...you cannot add an external antenna to it. That is why we opted to get another Verizon aircard when ours broke. Just wanted to let you know what they told us about the Mifi. Take care of yourself. We would sure like to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use the Verizon USB760 aircard while travelling in the US and never had a problem getting a connection. It worked great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So where did you get this exercise program from? Or did you invent it yourself? I hesitate to say this, but I don't think Rick has stayed at too many wildlife refuges, or out of the way, off the beaten path forest service areas to know whether or not Verizon is good there. I have only recently run into some problems with Sprint, but these have been in really remote areas. That being said, I'm thinking of changing to Verizon. I may even bite the bullet on switching before my contract is up if I have many more problems. :) Internet access is a must for me now days.

    I also love pouring over maps, and only use the GPS for help with actual driving (Jack in the Box is my virtual co-pilot). Sorry for the long comment, but your post got me going.:)
    Stay cool......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not being very techie, I make this comoment in hopes it may provide some help. Is it possible that you have an "unprotected" internet connection and therefore, someone is pirating your signal? Could be that's why you have intermittent good/bad connection. Or am I showing my ignorance on how this works? Emjay

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also one of those people who derives great pleasure from pouring over paper maps or in my case, Atlas's. I also use the internet for mapping as well but seldom use the visual GPS. Only navigating through large cities as a rule. I have a natural 'sense of direction' & I use that a lot as well. Sure wouldn't want to be with our internet that's for sure. If it's an addiction then so be it. I figure it's a mighty fine addiction when you have the whole world's library at your finger tips:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Previous comment should have read, "Sure wouldn't want to be WITHOUT our internet that's for sure."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love our large print Atlases, but use the GPS all the time. I always do all my planning with the maps, then when I get my route, put my end spot in the GPS. I also print out maps from google and yahoo. Old people like to feel secure and back-ups make me feel secure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like paper maps too, but we also follow up with the GPS running at the same time as we travel.

    As for the air card, I too am AT&T and it has been flakey the last few days too, and also not letting me comment on a bunch of blogs this morning too. All seems fine now. Maybe it was a company upgrade glitching time?

    And as for MiFi, don't quote me, but I do believe they do NOT have an antenna port like the aircards do. I think they are more limited in reception than an aircard/antenna combination.

    Hope you find what works best for you!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you like home baked bread, nothing is easier than frozen dough. I put it in the pan, and leave it in the microwave all day. About 8 or 9 hours later, it has risen an inch or higher than my pan, and time to bake. I like it to raise at least 1 1/2" to 2" above the pan, so that the finished bread is full of holes, like French bread of English muffins.

    ReplyDelete