Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Getting over all my mistakes

Where to begin. I left NY Tuesday morning, thinking I had hitched properly after many attempts. I drove about 300 miles to Keystone CG & RV Svc, in Greencastle, PA. Fortunately there were level, pull-in sites. The next morning I drove the rig a couple hundred feet over to the service area, and found to my surprise and horror that I hadn't hitched properly, and it was lucky for me the 5th wheel didn't disconnect. They de-winterized the 5ver, did the recall work on the fridge, replaced the front bay door that had been damaged, checked and fixed some small items, and charged me a lot of money. The 5ver needs re-caulking which I'm going to call on my 2 sons & s-i-l to do for me when I get to CA, as well as to install a water purification system. The caulking & water purifier would have been a lot of money, and I don't know why they didn't do the water thing - I would have paid for that.

While I was waiting I spent some time in their store, and bought a hose for fresh water plus the pressure valve. Somehow, I must need an an adapter at the point where the hose attaches to the 5ver, and i haven't had water since I left NY. I was tempted to just go to a motel tonight to have a hot shower & wash my hair, but hopefully I can get some help for it when I get to Asheville. I also can't get the microwave to work, and I'm not even about to try the stove yet. I'm getting hungry and really in need of water. Once the fridge was fixed I transferred some food items & beer from the cooler to the fridge, so I plan to dump the ice & water from the cooler into the toilet! unfortunately the food items consist of Marzetti's slaw dressing, vidalia onion dressing, mustard, capers, a jar of gherkins, and some jalapeno queso dip that I've been dipping tortilla chips into for my dinner the past 2 nights.

A very nice camper stopped by to see if I needed any help at Keystone, and he hooked up my electric, then came in to show me where to turn on the heat, so I haven't been cold at night. (In proofreading my post I took a 2nd glance at the previous sentence, and want to assure all readers that it isn't like it sounds.) I bought a cheap blanket at Walmart a couple of weeks ago, and lay on one side and pull the other side up over me, since I don't have my sheets yet. I refuse to buy another set, as I have a set for winter and one for summer, and they are enough. I can't wait to get to Asheville and get my belongings, so I can start to live in my new home. I've cleaned countertops, drawers, and some shelves, but I still need to put the Dirt Devil together so I can sweep the floors and vacuum the carpets. I would eventually like to get the carpets cleaned, and if anyone has suggestions as to what to use, please let me know. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a carpet cleaner, but don't know if I would want to do it by hand either. The outside of the rig is absolutely filthy since it has been sitting in NJ for two years! Not sure what I'll do about that, although it's crossed my mind that I could get some cleaner/wax and do it myself a little at a time, or I may eventually find a truck wash.

I'm going to read all about the water heater now, and then assemble the Dirt Devil, so that's it for today. If I think of anything later that I missed I'll add another post.

U

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see pictures of your new outfit. Sounds like you are already starting your incredible adventure. Good Luck

    JB

    ReplyDelete