Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, September 7, 2018

Thirteen Stitches!

In the head!  Mine, that is!

Yesterday while walking from the bathroom into the hallway to my room, my foot slid out of the Birkenstock sandal I was wearing, and I went down!  I have a terribly sore right hip, but worse, my head connected with a metal frame for the ceiling light fixture that I could never find the screws for.  I just set the frame in a small niche in the hallway, and my head jammed into it.  Good thing I didn't fall on my left side or my face would have gone into the metal.  

This happened in mid morning and I thought of my options since it was bleeding horrendously!  The lump on my seemed to grow into the size of a small apple, while the blood kept flowing, soaking up into the wet towel I covered my head with.  I couldn't rinse the towel fast enough.

The first thing I considered was to  call 911.  I skipped over that one quickly because I knew I would never leave my puppy while the medics hauled me away.  I kept the wet towel on my head and felt the swelling increase!

At about 1:30 I called Jeannie at work, but she was at a meeting and I sent a text message to her explaining that I was hurt and possibly needed help.  She felt so bad about it later because she didn't return to her desk until after 4pm, called me then and said she would leave work and be there as soon as she could.  She wanted to call 911 but I wouldn't have it.  She ended up contacting Steve who said they would come by as soon as they could and pick Rocky up; she then drove me to the emergency room.  We arrived around 5 or so, and finally left after I was seen and treated, at 12:30 a.m.  It was a busy night at the emergency room.

I got 13 stitches in my head, and was glad they numbed it with lidocaine before stitching it up.  The job was made more difficult for them because the time that had elapsed resulted in more swelling, but I was finally fixed up.  My son Joe was working the night shift (he's a respiratory therapist) and came down to see me around 12 Midnight.

Here are some photos:  They were taken today as you may see by the bruises on my arms.
















 Click on a photograph to enlarge it.

I don't have the time or patience to do a great job with these pictures, but here they are anyway. 

I almost forgot the most important thing.  You know how I've mentioned that Rocky is sweet but he doesn't cuddle much.  Today he has climbed up into my arms and slept there most of the day.  I've never seen such a snuggler, and I'm loving it.  Even though it might not last, I'll take it when I can.

14 comments:

  1. You are the second one I have read about falling tonight. Never wait so long with a bleeding head injury. Heads bleed really bad no matter the size of the wound and yours sounds like a doozzy. Your arm looks pretty bad too. Rocky would have been fine if he was contained in his crate with a bowl of water. Hope your aren't in to much pain tomorrow Take it easy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rocky did stay in his crate until my son Steve got there to pick him up. He went home with Steve and had a terrific time playing with Steve's dog Sammy. I know I should have gotten help sooner, but at the time of day it happened it would have been more difficult.

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness it wasn't Rocky tripping you. I bet you will be sore in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad Rocky had nothing to do with it as well. When I took him on a walk earlier that morning I realized that sooner or later he would make me fall with the way he zigzags back and forth, in front of me and then behind me. That's one thing i'm anxious to find out how to correct if and when we ever actually get into a puppy class!

      Delete
  3. Nooooo, so sorry to hear you had a head injury. Glad you got stitched up but it sure took a long time. I wish you a good sleep and speedy recovery. Rocky must have known you were hurt and wanted to comfort you. Great little dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all happened so fast, and I hope I'll be ok. I haven't noticed anything different except for a slight pain now and then.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about your fall. I do not know if it is the same in California but in Texas you can call 911, they will come and get you bandaged up and determine if you need to be taken to the hospital. You have the option of being taken to the ER or signing a form declining.

    Like JO mentioned I think Rocky would have been fine in his crate until you got back. Hope you get to feeling well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That system of 911 would have been ideal. I don't know how they do it in CA, but while I knew I needed medical help, I wasn't about to leave my puppy alone not knowing why I was being taken away.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry about your head. You are a stubborn woman. Waiting to go to the hospital could have been a bad move. Sure glad it worked out for you. I could not believe how much your head can bleed when I cracked mine open on the fifth wheel slide. I was lucky - the couple parked next to us had both just retired and were ER nurses. They took care of me with butterfly bandages and sent me to see the doctor who said they did such a good job I didn't need stitches. But you'll probably have a headache for a few days. It's amazing how pups know when you aren't feeling good. I would say you and Rocky are bonding really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it wasn't a very good move. When my daughter got to my house she said it looked like a crime scene! I get a twinge of pain now and then but nothing serious and it doesn't last but a second or two. Jeannie took a couple of photos of my head while I was waiting for treatment, because I wanted to see what it looked like. They are too gross to post on the blog!

      Delete
  6. Oh my, sorry that you had that fall...and so many stitches. Glad your family is close by to keep an eye on you after your accident. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Bad luck comes in bunches", I'm thinking. First your brother and now you. Wishing you both the best. I'm amazed, Gypsy, looking at the change in Rocky, how much he has grown in less than a month. He's an armful already. All babies like to snuggle, don't they? One dog of daughter/Anna's loves her crate. Yum Yum goes in for some peace and quiet. They are all mature now and her three BIG dogs are so well-mannered and joyous to see me coming. I love all animals ...'cept for snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our pets know when there's something wrong, and I'm sure Rocky knew you had been hurt. He's really bonding with you.

    When I got Katie, I walked really slow for a while, afraid I'd step on her or trip over her. I was more worried about hurting her, but if I had tripped and fallen, that could have been bad, too. So just move slow until Rocky is bigger.

    I like the comment about 911 ambulances coming and giving you the option of fixing you on the spot or going to the ER. It makes sense that they can evaluate the situation about whether or not you need an ER visit. I'm glad you're okay! Falls aren't good for people our age, that's for sure.

    Give Rocky a hug for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch! I am glad you can still smile. Somehow dogs know when their owner needs some comfort.

    ReplyDelete