Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, September 22, 2018

He can swim!

My granddaughter Ara drove with a friend from PA to CA to attend an engagement party for another friend of hers.  I went over to Jeannie's after my eye appointment yesterday to visit her, after picking Rocky up at home (where I think he may have annoyed one of the neighbors with his barking).

 During the afternoon we sat out by the pool for a while, and Ara got into the water that was maybe 9-12" deep.  She was on a step and picked up Rocky to dunk his paws; he didn't put up too much of a fuss so she let go of him in just a little more water than he could stand in, to see if he could swim.  I didn't know if it is a natural instinct in labrador retrievers, but I can tell you that it was natural to my Rocky!   I don't get into water myself or I would have him swimming in deeper water by now!   He knew exactly how to doggie-paddle!

I'm not sure if today is the airshow or if it covers the entire weekend.  I heard the planes but only briefly, so maybe they were just taking a practice run.  Yesterday they continually passed over my house so I got a very good look; today they were flying but I couldn't see them.  I would have had to go outside and I was too comfortable on the couch with Rocky snoozing next to me. 

I think the family is getting together tomorrow afternoon at one of the local craft breweries.  It is small and intimate and we just love it.  I haven't been there since I got Rocky, so maybe I'll try him out tomorrow.  There is a room off the main room which is for kids, but most people who bring a dog just keep it under the table.  I can't see Rocky being content to stay under the table unless someone continually passed him treats.  I may have to go outside with him if he can't behave.

I had bought a box of 4 LED lightbulbs a few weeks ago and got them out today.  Wow!  What a difference it makes.  I was reading that people with macular degeneration can require light that is 4 times as bright as what most people need, and it must be true.  Now I need to get some new lamps to replace the ones Rocky ruined.  I haven't caught him trying to chew on an electric cord lately, but that could mean I'm watching him like a hawk, or just plain lucky.

One more thing about Rocky is that his hearing is beyond excellent.  I can be in the kitchen while he is sleeping in another room, and if I quietly, quietly open the door of the fridge, it's only a matter of seconds until he is there.  I can't understand it because it doesn't make any noise when the door opens, especially when I'm really trying to be quiet.  He is a real nuisance when I try to eat - he sometimes leaves me alone at breakfast but even a snack from the fridge brings him running!   Will I ever get him trained?

11 comments:

  1. Labs will eat anything and everything - literally. We made a huge mistake when we had our black and yellow girls. Always saved a bite of our dinner for them when we were finished. Do it once and they expect it forever, just like Rocky with the whipped cream. When I got my second yellow girl, I made a decision to not give her people food and only doggie treats. It made cooking and eating much more pleasurable. Just some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm determined to not feed him any of my food, but already made the mistake of accidently dropping a small bit of ice cream, so now he gets a little spoon of it when I eat it. When I had my lab, Smoky, he got to lick the plates after dinner but wasn't allowed to beg. He spent our meal times waiting patiently under the table, and then licked them so clean I didn't even have to run the dishwasher. I'm not doing that this time though (we'll see).

      Delete
  2. Laughing !!! It appears to me he is already quite trained as he knows to associate the open fridge door to FOOD. Ah, go ahead and spoil that sweet dog (with a bit of judicious caution). Mine are spoiled yet they are my lifeline for eleven years, so I want to keep them happy and trusting that they are very important on my turf. Keep in mind dogs hear far better than humans - it truly astounds me at times. I'm so glad you have Rocky - everybody needs a companion that is compliant (in time). Many dogs love water, especially Labrador Retrievers and:Did you know: Labrador Retriever is the most popular dog breed by registrations (191,988) worldwide. wikipedia.org. Happy Days to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs certainly do have superior hearing to ours. I'm constantly astounded at how quickly Rocky learns. I just read something about the Labrador Retriever being the most popular dog.

      Delete
  3. I correspond with the breeder in Arizona where I got Rocky. She told me she recently lost her mother, and wasn't as active for a few weeks in trying to sell the rest of Rocky's littermates. If anyone is interested, I could find out what she has left - there were yellow, black, and chocolate puppies in the litter but I don't know what is left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad Ara had a companion on the long trip to California and that you were able to spend time with her.

    I have only had one dog in my life and he was not very trainable or I did not train him properly. I took him to dog obedience classes at Petsmart but he did not learn a thing! There was a lady in that class that had a poodle and she was the star of the class and was convinced I was just not doing it right. We became friends and when she learned that I was going out of town for the weekend she volunteered to dog sit.

    I took his crate to her house and she laughed and said she would not need it as she was going to teach him the commands we learned that week. Upon my return I found him in his crate, she could not teach him anything. Learned that after I left he jumped in the pool, peed in her kitchen floor (he did this if you yelled at him) and was jumping from bed to bed at her son's sleep over party! She never offered to dog sit him again :D

    After the puppy stage was over, he was a true joy. Patience Gypsy, your Rocky will get there soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ms. B. Your story gives me hope, and a good laugh!

      Delete
  5. I would be really surprised if he could not swim:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of felt the same way, which is why I was hoping someone would put him in the water. I'd do it but have a thing about being in water - canoe accident 40 years ago is why.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I too would be surprised if Rocky sat by the pool rather than in it. Labs have webbed feet to make the doggy paddle easier. And as far as being alert to the sound of the refrigerator opening, my son's dogs sit in the kitchen by the cutting board where we prepare veggies. They will eat just about anything in the vegetable world, including lettuce. (No bad things, like onions, and fruits like grapes, raisins)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I opened the freezer to sneak the tub of ice cream out. The door was perfectly quiet and I knew Rocky was sleeping. The second the door opened he was off the couch and in front of me at the freezer! I often wonder if he reads my mind, which is very likely as animals communicate with each other that way.

      Delete