Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

They did everything but call out the troops!

Now and then I need to shop someplace I don't feel comfortable bringing Rocky.  Yesterday after work Jeannie picked me up and we shopped at Target and Costco.  Not all that much time spent at either store, but a couple of other stops including the gas station and a paint store were also made.  I've been trying to leave Rocky in the crate for short absences, but he still barks, and yesterday was no exception.

He must have made so much racket my neighbors on either side became worried that I might have fallen again.  They knocked on the door and when they got no response they called the park manager who came over and determined I wasn't here.  They released Rocky from "doggy jail" and put him on the front porch, where they kept him company.  One of them came in to get some of his toys, fill up his food bowl (he sure got a lot to eat yesterday), and just worried what had happened to me.

It's nice to have caring neighbors, but I see now I have to let someone know when I will be gone.  And I certainly can't leave that little scamp in his crate for any reason.  It really takes away the last bit of personal freedom I have. 

My head is getting a bit better but it still hurts to touch the area of the stitches.   What is bothering me now is the fact that my legs and hips are killing me!  Even the side opposite to where I hit the floor is very painful, especially when getting in and out of bed.  I guess it will ease up in time, but I sure didn't realize it was going to get worse before it gets better.  As much as I dislike taking any kind of medication - the side effects are often worse than the pain or discomfort I'm trying to cover up - it might be time to search through my stash of vitamins and other pills to see if I can find an Advil!   I'm  shocked that there is still a hard lump on my head in the area of the stitches that hurts when I touch it.

I'm still battling with ants in the kitchen.  I've already declared war on them but I'm close to going nuclear!  If ony I could get in a car and drive to the dollar store I could pickup supplies such as essential oils that repel ants but isn't harmful to people or pets.  I think life needs to give me a break pretty soon!

 

10 comments:

  1. We reached an agreement with our neighbors in Apache Junction. We let them know when we're gone and then we try to be gone more than two hours so they only have to listen to Rocky bark for that long. They understand and put up with him for us. If we need to be gone longer than that, one of them will walk him for us. It's great to have good neighbors. You took a really bad fall. So you are going to hurt for several days. A pill once in awhile isn't a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how my freedom has been curtailed - first by health issues and 2nd by Rccky!

      I am hurting now on the side opposite where I fell, and the pain is much worse that it has been. I feel it most when I try to lift my left leg - coming up the steps, getting in or out of bed, off the couch, etc. I never dreamed I hit the floor so hard!

      Delete
  2. Gypsy - So sorry you're hurting so much - maybe you should go back to see the dr. to make sure it's only bruises causing the pain and not anything else. Not sure I would have been happy with park management opening my door, going in my house, and taking my dog out of his crate! I guess I view it as a real invasion of privacy! You are definitely kinder-hearted than I am :) If Rocky is barking so much when you leave, he might respond to his crate being covered by a blanket to make it dark and cozy inside. He also might like to have the TV or radio on and running just so there's background noise. As you've found out, having a dog does really curtain your freedom. My husband and I realized we cannot travel anymore since we no longer have an RV and refuse to put our 2 little Cavalier Spaniels in a kennel while we travel. Even going away for an overnight or even a long day (say more than 6-7 hours) is really something we're not comfortable doing. It's definitely a choice we made, but it does sometimes feel that we're missing out on stuff.....but then we have these wonderful dogs to love and be loved by. Hope you feel better son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments. I had trouble with my computer starting up and I'm late getting back to you.

      Actually I had mixed feelings about people coming into my house, but I really like and trust the neighbors on both sides, and know their intentions were worry that I had fallen again and maybe needed help. I should have told one of them that I was going to be gone for a couple of hours, but I didn't, My daughter Jeannie thinks I should continue to leave him in his crate for an hour or two at a time - to give me a break once in a while, and to be consistent with him so that he eventually lets me go out without barking. I hate to hear of him barking for an hour or two, so I'd just avoid it at nearly all costs, but that's not good for the dog either. I'm the boss, not him. I truly don't know what to do, but I'm glad I have neighbors on both sides who really like the dog and probably worry as much about him as they do about me.

      I don't have TV but am trying to remember the small radio I have - I should probably move it closer to his crate. He's a little tyrant s!ometimes, and sometimes he is pure angel !

      Delete
  3. I have found taking my pup to doggy daycare once a week gives me a day to get a lot of things done. She also gets a day of fun and socialization. The cost is $20 for the day. Well worth it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. I need to find one in my neighborhood as it sounds ideal to me!

      Delete
    2. And a huge bonus is she comes home exhausted.

      Delete
  4. I think maybe you should get checked out just to be sure nothing is broken. I guess they didn't tell your to put cold compress on your wound? You must have really hit the floor hard. When I feel about 6 mths ago I hurt for a long time and bruises didn't show up for a few days afterward. I had and apt. with the Dr. a couple of days later anyway so I just let him check me out. We sure don't heal like we used to.

    As for Rocky's barking I don't have a clue other than the barking collar thing, the one that squirts water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anything is actually broken - my legs ache more than they used to a few years back (old age), and I guess I was bruised more than I realized from the fall. I have had so many dr. and treatment appointments in the past year I'm swearing off when I can. I think if they had taken me sooner in the ER I would have had a CAT scan, but after being in the waiting room for well over 6 hrs before being treated, and by then it was midnight, I figured I can't be hurt too badly or they wouldn't have left me sitting there so long! I'm trying to swear off doctors alltogether, but I think it's hopeless.

      Delete
  5. I am sorry you are still hurting but it is going to hurt for a while. When Mom fell last year she was in pain and asked me to give her Tylenol. She is like you and tries to not take pain medication so I knew she was hurting.

    I agree with the comment made by L. Beman on management and then the neighbors coming into your home. While I understand it was for fear you might have fallen again, taking Rocky out of his crate is a bit much. Glad you took it well.

    ReplyDelete