Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, September 15, 2018

STARTING OFF ON A BAD NOTE!

I like mornings to go smoothly, especially when I've already made one trip outside in the early morning dark.  I took Rocky out after he ate his breakfast, and wanted to clean up after him so I planned to step on his leash to keep him away from the business at hand, but still have control over his movements.  The incredibly smart little dog knew the exact split second when I didn't have my foot down securely on the leash, and he made a dash for freedom.  I ran after him, called him, to no avail.  He was moving and didn't plan to stop!  

He looked to be headed across the street to the dog park but suddenly a man walking by became of interest to Rocky and he tore after him.  When he reached him he started jumping up; the man turned towards the dog and his knee came up.  Perfect job - he didn't push at Rocky but let Rocky run into the obstacle.  It's just like I tell my grandkids to do but they are too young to realize it won't hurt the dog at all and he will think it was his fault in the first place, not the owner of the knee.

So I'm running after him, still dressed  in my bathrobe, and was humiliated in front of the snickering audience at the dog park.  I was furious with Rocky and brought him in immediately, and he knew I was angry as I probably had smoke coming out of my ears at this point.   I did a little cleaning of the kitchen and came in to the living room to sit down on the couch.  A little contrite puppy finally walked over to the couch and wanted to be lifted up.  I have said before that he is NOT a cuddly dog, with the exception of when I'm hurt.  So I truly enjoyed cuddling this little imp for a while, forgiving him, and will have to work on "Come when called". 

I think I mentioned in yesterday's post that they didn't take the stitches out of my head yet.  I am really getting annoyed with the stitches - when I put my hand near them they feel like prickly little wires coming out of my head.  It's difficult to sleep, and I always worry about Rocky hurting me by moving into my head.  I sleep as still as a log, but a dog moves around all night long.  Sometimes I pull the quilt up over my head but then I want to breathe fresh air.  Can't win!

We have an appointment for the parvo shot this afternoon and I've decided I definitely won't get anything other shots at the same time.  And I will wait several months to get the rabies shot.  If I somehow get caught for not getting him a license for a few months, then I'll just pay the fine or whatever.  If the license for an intact pet is $75 you can only imagine what the fine would be for not licensing the pet!  

This morning I have been working on getting my Bel Air grocery order together.  I decided to try their delivery service.  Costco also has a delivery service but Jeannie goes to often enough and I'll just continue to go there with her.   I would really rather pick out my own groceries - most of what I buy is fresh fruits and vegetables, plus dairy, but without a way to get there on my own I am hopeful this system works out well.  I shop mostly around the perimeter of the store and avoid the aisles.

I need to go get dressed but the little guy is sleeping peacefully next to me and I sure hate to wake him up right now.

8 comments:

  1. Ask the vet for an appointment card to carry saying the visit is for a rabies shot, if checked by an official show card and explain shot given for too young a dog is not advised because it is dangerously too early to be given yet. My town found that acceptable, a Rocky fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an excellent idea! I doubt I'll run into anyone checking for a license, but you never know. Thanks for the great suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your neighbor was able to stop Rocky, dogs usually know when they have misbehaved and will be good if only for a while.

    Did a miss a post, when did you get rid of your car?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since before I discovered I had cancer (lymphoma) I haven't felt like driving so one of my kids, usually Jeannie, drives me where I need to go. I had traded cars with her because I felt hers was unsafe to drive in traffic, to and from work every day, etc. When it came time to renew my insurance I just had her get rid of her car and I transferred mine to her. I sort of miss being able to go where and when I want, even if just locally, but I was also worried about driving because of my eye problems. I think I could do it ok now, but the car is hers.

      Delete
  4. Poor Rocky! It must be torture for him to live across from the dog park but not be able to go play yet - Like a kid living across the street from Disneyland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! What a great analogy - and Rocky must feel like Disneyland is almost within reach. He's sort of quiet (and cuddly, hallaluia) today, probably as a result of his shot. I'm going to give him a few days before taking him into that dog park, and to tell the truth I sort of worry about taking him there at all. There are so many dogs in such a small space every day, and who knows what kinds of germs & illnesses are in the soil. Not everyone picks up after their pet, to make matters worse,

      Delete
    2. I take my dog to Glenbrook Dog Park every Saturday morning early. It's a pretty large park and all the dogs (and people) are really nice.

      Delete