Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, September 2, 2018

Just another Sunday morning

I had a slow and easy morning to start out.  Then I decided to take a shower, always an adventure with a puppy in the house.  After removing things like wastebaskets, the toilet brush, etc. from his reach, I got into the shower, but not for long.  Getting out was even worse.  He wanted to lick my already clean skin and I was pushing him out of the way while hopping around on one foot and then the other.  My mom would have told me I looked like I had ants in my pants!

Even though I managed to get dressed he still was trying to lick the lotion off my legs while I was brushing my teeth and combing my hair.  The simplest things are now such a challenge!   One thing is for certain:  a "good" puppy behavior day is always followed by a "bad" or "Less than good" puppy day.

I am desperate for decent lighting in the living room, which has no ceiling light.  Rocky gravitates toward electrical cords and I have two lamps out of order now - he's working on the third.  I'm at my wits end, I'll tell ya.

Rocky is sometimes heart-breakingly sweet!  If I yell at him about something dangerous to him, such as the cord he was about to chew, he will walk away from it and as soon as I sit down he wants to climb up into my lap as if to say "I'm sorry".   He's only contrite for a short time and then he's off to look for other michief!
 
I think this is a holiday weekend, is it not?  I lost track of the calendar ever since I retired from my job in 1975!  I do have calendars in my house but I forget to look at them.   I can't remember the last labor day picnic I've been to, or any kind of celebration.  Have fun, if you're celebrating in any way - I'd love to hear about it since I'm not doing anything myself.

 

9 comments:

  1. Do you know about the "Leave It" command? It's pretty easy to teach and a good thing for Rocky to learn - useful for when he wants to chew on cords, but also comes in handy in many circumstances. You can use it when you want him to leave something alone and save "No" for other things. That way you're not yelling No all the time. Victoria Stilwell has an online video on this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVJiwa9LHiw) as do many other dog trainers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been very successful with my previous dogs and the Leave It! command. This one isn't ready to learn it evidently, but he will and soon, I hope.

      Delete
  2. When I was a kid living at home with my parents, we had a boxer. She was a brindle color so we named her Brinda. When we had company and sitting in the living room (where she was not allowed), she would sneak around the corner and get behind the couch. Laying back there, she was chewing on a lamp cord. When she bit through it, we herd a lout "YIP" and the couch came flying away from the wall with our guest on it. She would also chew on and eat anything when left alone. One day we came home and she had found a bar of homemade lye soap. That almost killed her. Took a long time getting over that with us hand feeding her soft foods so not to irritate her stomach. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think it could get much worse, but your stories prove that it can ALWAYS get worse. Good thing she came through those years ok - I wondered what it would do if mine chewed through a cord that was plugged in. By the way, he's been continuing the "Toilet Paper Caper" this afternoon. I'm so mad at him but have to laugh behind his back.

      Delete
  3. The purpose of puppies is to teach us better places to keep things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My puppy is certainly challenging me; I don't know which of us is ahead right now.

      Delete
  4. It is so much fun following your adventures with Rocky. I look forward every day to a new post. 😁👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vera. It's mostly fun having him around as he is so funny, even when he's doing something he shouldn't. And I will never get over how beautiful his shiny black coat is. I'm lucky to have found him, although I forgot about the down sides of raising a puppy! It'll work though.

      Delete
  5. Wow Gypsy, you retired in 1975? That's 43 years ago. Please do a blog post on how you retired so early. How smart you were.

    ReplyDelete