Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Luck is running against me!

I don't know why this keeps happening to me.  Last night Jeannie drove me to the PetsMart store that had scheduled a puppy class, to find that the store was closed.  Two employees were still there, including the woman who runs the training program.  She said they had cancelled last night's class and it was moved to two weeks later.  She also said she had called me and left a message.  Upon checking my phone there was indeed a msg from her, but the notification never showed on my phone.  It will usually turn on a small light and the msg "Missed Call" will appear.  (I have a jitterbug phone, quite unlike the phones many folks use.)

This is the second time I've gone to a class to find it has been rescheduled, and I'm pretty fed up.  The pet store closest to me and within walking distance is Pet Club, a family owned small chain centered in the Bay area of CA, but they don't hold classes at any of their stores.  I think the worst part about both the SPCA and PetsMart cancellations is that they were both called off at the last minute.

So I'm not sure what to do next, but I suppose I'm going to have to work with Rocky on my own.  Right now I need to stop the incessant barking and have watched several Youtube videos on this subject, none of which is really applicable in my situation. 

Jeannie and I talked about the feasibility of selling my house and renting an apartment near her.  The woman who lives next door to her owns several apartments in that area, and in fact recently rented one to my niece and her two boys.  The rents are very reasonable as rents in this area go, but it would still be higher than my current total costs.  I would at least have some grass for the dog to play on instead of the unending concrete and blacktop we have now.  I wouldn't have to contend with the dog park across the street from me, and while many folks in this neighborhood are very friendly, it's a certain few who  ruin it.  I'm also not happy about the density of the homes here.  I have never seen any of Carmen's properties, but Jeannie will throw out the idea to her that I might be interested.

In the meantime I have the floor tiles for the kitchen that I need to put down, and a bit of painting to finish.   I also need to seriously weigh the pros and cons of living here or moving.  And all that is with a young puppy to deal with!

11 comments:

  1. I am glad that I am not in your shoes...I really feel for you. A decision to move can’t be made lightly, especially because of Rocky’s barking. That would have to stop before or your name might be mudd in the new neighbourhood. Either staying or moving you are already working on that item as you mentioned. It will not be long and he'll learn since he is smart (and so are you🤗) good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to really have to start seriously working on the training as I'll no doubt have to do it myself. All these places certainly charge enough for a short puppy training course, and then they leave you high and dry!

      Delete
    2. I just recalled my daughter took a dog for training at Pets Mart. A total failure. The dog learned the ins and ours of her new home in time and all was fine then. Mine are (mostly) obedient when I speak, so I feel you too can do a good job with Rocky too. It just takes time, Gypsy. I have faith in your ability. And puppies will be puppies until they grow out of it. It s brand new life for her at your house. Patience. And put everything up out of the way of her teeth! Ah, do I know the $ expense $ mine have cost me through the years - $100 damage in one night -pitiful.

      Delete
  2. Try a private dog trainer. Petsmart and other chains sometimes (notice I said "sometimes.") do not have trainers with the expertise you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have given that some thought, and the closest pet store to me, Pet Club, doesn't have their own trainer but recommends one in the area. I will look into it the next time I'm there.

      Delete
  3. In your spot I might look for a vibration-only no bark collar. The reviews are good on some, and since there's no pain involved it may be an affordable and simpler solution than going to training classes. I hope it works out, what a little doll your little dog is!-Annette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would exhaust all other avenues before even considering a collar that vibrates or shocks the dog. I'm hoping a good method of exists to stop that behavior.

      Delete
  4. I think you really need to look at a personal trainer especially if he's decided barking is a good thing. Our Rocky is a barker and he really limits what we can do but he's old. I think your Rocky would learn quite easily what is acceptable or not. We used the vibration collar and it didn't work. But I understand it does work on some dogs. We can't give up on him now. We've all become attached to him through you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I'm chalking it up to puppy behavior as well as testing limits. Just like a kid they want to see how far they can go. We'll keep trying to find a class that is compatible with Jeannie's schedule and see what help a trainer might offer.

      Delete
  5. There is also a collar that squirts water when they bark so no pain involved there. I can't believe all the trouble your having with these training classes. Maybe they can't get enough people signed up. But I have heard about dogs not doing very well in these classes. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe the baeking is a thing you need to to deal with as early as possible. It will become impossible to break orherwise. Do you have a "next door" online neighborhood in your area? It is wonderful at getting recommendations for nearly anything from people who have someone they can recommend. Google it, join (free) and ask about training classes that have worked or good trainers.

    ReplyDelete