Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, July 1, 2017

The Service - UPDATE

Everything went well at my nephew's service this morning.  My youngest brother, who is a deacon in the church, prepared a short but meaningful service, and my two sisters and I did the readings.  Then the ashes were taken to a special part of the cemetery to leave them in the place prepared for him.  It is a very peaceful location, with a roof and benches where one can sit and just contemplate or enjoy the peace and quiet.  We went back to the house for an incredible brunch which was a joy (lots of carbs) for me since I didn't have to cook any of it.  

It was a very relaxing morning - a small enough crowd to be able to talk to people.  In early August the hordes of family and friends will descend on them.  My son is bringing his family from New York and all my kids will be there.

I think the blue dress worked out very well - kind of bare on top for a chapel service, but I wore a sweater over it until after the service so I was ok.  
The traffic on I-80 was the worst I've ever seen it, but I usually avoid interstates so it is probably like that much of the time.   Jeannie and her family have to drive right back down it as they are spending the next few days with friends at the beach.   I remember the beaches always being cold and extremely windy during the summer - Mark Twain made the famous comment "The coldest winter I ever spent was the summer I spent in San Francisco", and he was certainly right about that.   Whenever I took my kids to the beaches near San Fran, I always sat in my lawn chair wrapped in a quilt while they played with the waves!   They will have a wonderful time and Ara is joining them this afternoon and tomorrow.   Not me - as I've told Toto time and time again, "There's no place like home!"

UPDATE:  Here is a photo of one of the dresses I recently hemmed.  One down and two more to wear!   To be truthful, I don't like wearing a long dress - much prefer shorts, capris, or jeans.  (Click to enlarge.)


10 comments:

  1. I had no doubt that it would be a beautiful service and that your reading would go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about my reading except what people told me, and they wouldn't tell me I was bad at it even if I was. I think I did well. The microphone didn't work, the ceilings were high, so I spoke as loudly and clearly as I could. Can't do anything more!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it all went well for the service and they found a very beautiful resting place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really a beautiful resting place. My brother & his wife have bought the "niches" for their ashed right next to their son's. I think the cemetery goes back to 1850, so that's about the time of the gold rush!

      Delete
  3. I love your beautiful blue dress.
    ~Betty Graffis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. It really is the prettiest of the three. Somehow, I feel like I'm "playing dress-ups" while wearing it though.

      Delete
  4. The dress is very becoming on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look very pretty Gypsy. Blue is a great colour for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda. I always liked that shade of blue.

      Delete