Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Simplicity in life

After looking at so many models of coffee grinders on so many websites, I finally ordered an inexpensive one from eBay.  I just received notification that it has been shipped, so I should be getting it in a few days and will try it out and let you know what I think.  I figure I may have to end up buying a better (more expensive???) model, but for now I hope this will do.  It will be used when camping, traveling, or if the electricity goes out before I get my coffee in the morning.

I'm going to bring up a topic that I've wanted to write about for a long time, and that is all the crap that websites store on your computers.  Every night before turning mine off, I delete all but the the most necessary "History", the record of every website you've visited, every google search you've done, etc.  I make sure I leave the ones that are important, such as AOL, gmail, blog, and a few more; you can delete them but then you will have to sign in the next time you want to use them.  So I end up with about 5 per day retained.

Then I try to clear most of the "cookies" from my system.   With a MAC I just go to Preferences, Privacy, and then start scrolling through all the cookies left by every possible web site you've been near; I delete them one by one, again making sure I keep the ones for sites I have to log in on.  I try to clear the unwanted cookies out at least every other day, but somehow I must have gone nearly a week, and I'm sure there were 300-400 on the list.  It doesn't mean you've actually visited a site.  For example, most web sites have a logo for FB, Twitter, etc., and a cookie for each of those sites is placed on your computer.  I don't even have a FB or Twitter account, yet there they are in my record of cookies.  I don't know why they do that, nor do I know if there is a problem associated with it, but I don't like clutter on my computer.  And useless (to me) cookies are just clutter on a system that attracts clutter.  There are also many cookies that you can tell relate to advertising, so if you visit a website and there are ads on that site, a cookie finds its way to your computer.

I have a Mac computer, and I'm sure the procedure is a bit different for other operating systems.  But if you were blissfully unaware of this collection sitting on your computer, you might be surprised (to put it mildly) at the garbage that websites store on your computer.  They don't ask you, and many of these are connected with advertising.  Again, if it is a site you log into you might want to leave the cookie in place.  I sometimes visit a backpackers' forum and I don't want to log in every time I do.  It requires going slowly and thinking twice before hitting the delete button, and on my Mac I have to delete each one individually.   This is FYI only, so be careful and don't blame me if you delete something you don't want deleted - I've done it myself enough times and then the next time I long into that site I have to get my cheat sheet of passwords out and hope I can find the most current one.

I value privacy in my life although I realize if you are "connected" your privacy goes right out the window.  I just try to keep it as simple as I can.

I'm having a simple supper this evening and only need to cook the veggies and fry the steak!  I sure hate the clean-up no matter how simple the meal though.

9 comments:

  1. Like my waistline says Some Cookies are good and some cookies are bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind a few chocolate chip cookies, or a handful of Oreos!

      Delete
    2. I really need to clean up my computer. There are cookie crumbs everywhere. I could really go for some chocolate right now.

      Delete
    3. I am sure the crumbs are what is holding my computer together!

      Delete
  2. I used to be able to clear a lot of cookies in my former laptop which ran on Windows 7 using a program a computer guy at the library installed. I think you have mentioned that program on your blog but with my CRS I don't remember it right this minute. With Windows 10, I have no idea how to do anything :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My programs to clear selected history and clear cookies are in Firefox, which is the browser I installed (the MAC comes with its own program that I can't stand). I'm not sure but I think anyone can download Mozilla Firefox to run on their computers and I'm sure there is a PC version as well as MAC.

      Delete
    2. Sorry to chime in so late after your post. The program I was referring to is called CCleaner.

      Delete
  3. I have Firefox on Windows 7 -- just lazy about deleting cookies. You have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep asking myself, "Why do they put the cookies on my computer in the first place." I especially don't understand the ones from websites I don't even go to such as Facebook and Twitter. It is annoying and I believe it's an invasion of privacy. Even though I can't understand what they are doing, there has to be a benefit to the sites leaving their cookies, and probably no benefit at all to me.

      Delete