Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, July 24, 2017

Visit withthe eye surgeon

I made the drive to his office this morning, the longest drive I will have to do this week.  Tomorrow will be the hairdresser where I am going to get a real buzz cut, but it's just about a mile short of the eye doctor.  I really don't like that drive anymore.

I have great respect and admiration for my eye surgeon, and always leave his office in a good mood even when the news isn't anything to be glad about.  My macular degeneration is getting worse, and he told me about new advances in surgery, but of course he can't guarantee success.  I declined for now - my age and the state of the world make me feel that I don't want to waste months of what is left of my life in bandages and recuperating from any kind of surgery.   I don't like what is happening with my eyes, but for some reason I've accepted it from the very beginning.  He again told me I won't go blind, which I will take as a real plus.  My vision especially in low light leaves a lot to be desired, but I will manage.

I have to go back in about 3 weeks for an appointment with their optometrist to see what they can do for me in the way of new prescription lenses.  I'm ever hopeful.

Tomorrow I have the hairdresser appointment, the following day will be with the chiropractor, and on Thursday I will take Ara's car to the mechanic for an oil change and overall checkup for her.  That will be a breeze as his shop is less than a mile from my house!  I like staying close to home these days.

I must have set my Serengeti sunglasses down someplace yesterday and left them.  It is really a blow in this bright sunlight, and the next pair of prescription lenses I get is going to have sun darkening features as well.    In the meantime I will just have to get through the days.   Too bad I don't see well in low-light situations or I could switch my driving habits to the evening hours.

I tried a new food today and was surprised at how well I like it.  I have always tried to keep a stash of easy to fix foods set aside for emergencies - power outages, and the like, or situations where it might not be possible for me to get out to shop for groceries.  I've been hearing a lot about Spam lately, and I have known people from Britain and Ireland that remember eating not much else during the war years.  I decided to try it, and fried a couple of slices with sauteed veggies for my lunch today.  It really is good, although the next variety I try will be the low sodium version.  It comes in 4 or 5 varieties now and  is fully cooked so could be eaten as is if the power goes out.   To think everyone I grew up with sort of made fun of it.  I grew up in an era when we didn't have a lot of extras, and being prepared if the power went out for a few days or hours was just something we took for granted.   In those days my Mom did a lot of canning in the summer so we always had a supply of foods in jars in our cool basement.

I don't know what was happening with my computer last night, but I thought it was going to require an expensive fix or a new computer.  I can't understand why a game would mess it up, but I deleted the game and it's been good so far.  I asked myself if I would try a smart phone and just get to the internet from there, but nah, I hate those things and I'm no better than  all the folks with their noses stuck in the phones.  This morning in the dr.'s office I counted 11 people, 7 of whom were staring intently at their phones.  At least two were with a spouse and they looked at the phone together, so that left me and one other person thumbing through magazines.  If I had a smart phone I'm sure I'd be fixating on it.

I need a nap after the stress of driving in traffic this morning.  It messes up my evenings however, and I go to sleep later.  I really prefer being an early bird.

7 comments:

  1. I hope there is a happy solution for your eyes issue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theh worst is driving a car, so I don't do any more than necessary now.

      Delete
  2. So sorry about your eye disease but thank the good Lord that you will
    never go blind. My sister in law has Rod and Cone eye disease and there
    is absolutely nothing can be done at this point. She can only drive in daylight
    hours.
    We used to eat Spam when I was young before it was blasted as not good for
    us. Never checked that out. I always liked it ! fried. But, alas, we rarely
    ever eat it for years. You think the ingredients have changed over the years?
    Enjoy your blog..... Hoping you don't over do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason when I found out what was wrong with my eyes I just was able to accept it, and am counting on the fact that I won't go totally blind. The scary thing is stepping off a curb, but I think that is a perception issue. Nothing I can do about it and I'm grateful to get through life to this point with no major illness or surgery.

      I think the regular Spam has quite a bit of sodium but when I looked at the ingredient list it didn't seem too bad, and I pretty much stick to a healthy organic diet. It has 7g of protein per serving, and something like 790 mg of sodium, about 1/3 of your daily requirement. Checking it against my salt container, I find that 1/4 tsp salt contain 590 mg of sodium, so I'll definitely try the low sodium version next time. Ingredients are: pork with ham, salt, water, modified potato starch, sugar (not even enough sugar to list the amt.) and sodium nitrite. I don't think I would eat Spam very often, but it will be good to add to my shelves for an emergency or for when I just don't know what to fix for supper.

      (Just for info, my salt container states that 1/4 tsp of salt is 590 mg, and is 25% of the "daily value".) To answer your question, I would say the ingredients probably have changed somewhat over the years but not much.

      Delete
  3. I hadn't given spam a thought as an emergency food store. What a good idea. I usually have foil packs of tuna and salmon sometimes a can of chicken. Going to put that on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonder what just happened to the comment I thought I just left.
    I had forgotten about spam as a good food for emergency storage I usually keep foil packs of tuna and salmon. I tried the canned chicken and it was awful. Going to put spam on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the comment came through but sometimes you can't see it immediately. That's Google for you.

      I have cans of white meat chicken, tuna, salmon, and now I might pick up a couple more cans of Spam. With all the storms across the country, many severe enough to leave thousands without power, I think it's a good idea to set aside emergency supplies. What bothers me is water - it is operated somehow by electricity so when the power goes out we have no water. I have about 6 gal. of spring water but finding a place for them in a mobile home is a challenge, and afew gallons wouldn't last long. I've never worried about earthquakes in Sacramento although some people can feel slight tremors now and then, but with the crazy weather everywhere, I have quakes to worry about now. By the way, if you like chicken I'd try a different brand. Mine is really good and I make chicken salad with it now and then.

      Delete