Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Fuel for my new stove

I think I had mentioned I looked in the Korean store for butane cannisters last week and couldn't find them.  I received an ad in the mail from Koreana Plaza, so I returned there to look again.  I ended up having to ask an employee where they were, and she had a difficult time translating my pronunciation of butane, but eventually realized what I was talking about.  I came out with two 4-packs of cannisters that ran about $8.00, or a dollar a cannister.  I also bought a container of Washington cherries, the sweet yellow/pink ones.  Sorry Washingtonians, but the California variety I got from our farmers market were probably 3x sweeter.   I love cherries though and they won't be available for much longer so I'm glad to get them from wherever I can.

I'm so disappointed that I'm still waiting for my coffee grinder.  It was ordered from eBay,  so there is no way of telling how long it will take to get here.  It shipped on June 15 according to the notice I got from eBay.  That is only one of the reasons I prefer to buy from a local source.  If I ever post about ordering a product again, I hope someone reminds me to keep looking locally.  It's not that I need the grinder right now, but I ordered it, they took the money from my account, and I want the product!

 I finally made it to the gym this morning because I woke up early, had my breakfast early, and was able to get to the gym before the heat descended.   While I was eating my breakfast the house was so cool I had to wear my fleece bathrobe!  What a great feeling to be chilly again instead of sweltering.  That is the norm for most Sacramento mornings although there are a few now and then when we don't get the Delta breeze.

I've been studying up on container gardening as I'm thinking about growing a few veggies in containers.  I have never had much of an affinity for gardening - flowers or produce - but I'd like to try again.  The thing I must do is keep myself from trying to grow too much.  Maybe if I just raise a few plants in containers and am successful at it, I could become more enthusiastic about it and then expand my efforts.   It will depend on the cost of the containers and soil - if I can get one of my sons to build the containers it wouldn't be as expensive as if I went out and had to buy them.  There is also the cost of buying soil - my entire yard is covered in small rocks.

I think many readers of this blog have been with me long enough to get an idea of my temperament and personality.  If you are laughing at the thought of me sticking to growing a small garden, and doubt that I will ever follow through on it, please don't hesitate to comment.  

Here it is, the middle of the week already and now we will be on the down slide to another weekend! 

14 comments:

  1. I've heard you can grow anything in California. It is a struggle where we are and by mid summer things look pretty sad, but we do have some okra, and lots of banana peppers and some blackeyed peas coming on -- all of which my DH likes. Give me the cherries!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Central Valley of CA is just about perfect for growing food, orchards, grape vines, etc.

      Delete
  2. I did not find container gardening worth the cost of the food. However I did find it lots of fun and lots of work for a successful harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably isn't cost effective, but I'd like to try it.

      Delete
  3. I tried growing some herbs and the only thing that made it half was Rosemary. I guess I just don't get into after a few weeks and the heat here doesn't help much. Be a few doors down from me the man has built all these planters and wow is his stuff growing. The boxes are on rollers so he can move the to shaded areas when needed. Well I can't see me doing all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have the energy to move things around either. I hate to say it, but I generally prefer organic dried herbs I buy in a small jar!

      Delete
  4. The best container garden set-up I have seen was done in Rubbermaid totes. They were 'self-watering'. Link to article: http://boingboing.net/2015/03/09/container-gardening-earthbox.html or search for DIY Earthboxes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked at the link you sent and think that would work best for me. I really don't want to deal with making something with wood and the Rubbermaid looks ideal. Thanks so much for the link and info.

      Delete
  5. I have seen some amazing box gardens across the country, most seem to be projects of small towns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember neighborhoods when I lived in NC that had community gardens. But I haven't seen box or container gardens as community projects. I wish we had one where I live now.

      Delete
  6. I guess you could treat box plants as pets. Yep, you could even sit them in the car and give them rides (grin). Hey, they are living things, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about taking them for a spin in the car, but I have heard they respond well to being spoken to in a soft and kind manner. Maybe if I talk to them they will grow well for me?

      Delete
  7. I LOVE cherries too and there just are no good ones in the south or anywhere really but Michigan on the east coast I don't think. I'm jealous of all the cherries on the west coast. I gardened all my life and always found container gardening - if you mean pots - to be very difficult unless the pots were those great big ones. There just isn't enough room for the roots of almost anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've visited my son & family in NY they had some pretty good cherries available. I think they were local.

      I bought 3 packets of seeds this morning - kale, chard, and spinach. I eat all three of these veggies so they shouldn't go to waste. I got the little starter containers to put the seeds in initially and might be able to eventually plant them outside if the weather cools down enough. If the winter is like our past winters, they would probably grow well outdoors, unless extreme cold hits our part of CA, which I don't think it will.

      Delete