Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Quick trip to Folsom

I normally dread the drive out to Folsom Costco, but planned it so that I would get there around opening time this morning.  This Costco has the gluten-free bread I really like - better than any other brand or type I have tried, and they come two loaves to a package (smaller loaves than Rainbow Bread, for sure).  I bought 2 packages, 4 loaves in the hopes I won't have to go back for a while.

I did some other shopping there and got out of the place for much less $ than I had anticipated, and the drive home was easy as the drive out.

I really don't like the layout of that Costco and it makes shopping there a chore rather than an enjoyable trip like the one to "my local store".  I never could find a few items on my list but I will soon have to visit my Costco to get fuel in the tank, so I can easily pick up the things I missed.  

I've been searching online for a non-electric coffee bean grinder, and they either sound way too complicated or otherwise unsatisfactory from the descriptions given.  I'd like to find a local store that has some in stock so I could hold one in my hand and look closely at how it works.

I'm also looking for one of those blue metal pots so I can heat water on my butane powered 1-burner stove for my Melitta coffee system.  I guess by now you can tell I'm not going to miss my coffee in the event of a  power outage!  I have a blue metal pot but it is too large for my purposes and the lid is sort of dicey.  I think I got it at Walmart a few years ago, and didn't get much use out of it as I only took it with me when camping.  I'm pretty easy on my equipment and take good care of it, so it probably wasn't of very high quality to begin with! 

So you can see how exciting my morning has been.  I'm looking forward to the gym late this afternoon, with Jeannie & Ara.

11 comments:

  1. Well your morning might not have been exciting but your blog title had me thinking you'd gone to prison. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, that wouldn't be a very quick trip! I always smile when I think of Folsom Prison and Johnny Cash's song.

      Delete
    2. We purchased the Hario Skerton ceramic coffee mill April 2014 and it works great. We grind organic coffee beans (Mexican Chiapas). It is very easy to turn but takes a while and you could become tired. On the other hand, it is good arm exercise. It is $39.00 on Amazon, but they have another one called ShineBlue for $29 but it doesn't have reviews yet. The Japanese Hario has close to 2,500 positive reviews.

      Maybe you can check around and find this or something similar locally.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for mentioning this model as it is one I have looked at online.

      Delete
  2. How about that camping store you like to go too. I know I saw those coffee mills somewhere but can't remember. I am pretty much ready for no power too. Went out last night for a while. Hope you find one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I will try REI which is where I have gotten a lot of my camping equipment.

      Delete
  3. I checked out REI online and they do carry a small ceramic coffee mill. It appears to have some quality issues, but probably would do well as a backup.

    https://www.rei.com/product/869833/gsi-outdoors-java-mill

    They probably would have this in stock at your local REI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for looking it up. I will be near REI when I visit my eye surgeon soon, and will wander through the store to see what they have. It looks like they all can be very tiring to use which doesn't surprise me. Fortunately, I like a coarse grind and don't need to grind it until it's powdery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never heard of Folsom Prison until today. The curious creature in me had to go check out the link Janet left even though I am not much of a coffee drinker, I know how much you enjoy your morning cup.

    You are very fortunate to live close to a Costco and an REI store, I have never been to either one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must never have been a Johnny Cash fan - his song about it probably made Folsom Prison known to lots of people. Folsom is a small town (that is becoming bigger all the time and more congested) about 15 miles from where I live on the eastern end of Sacramento. Folsom Lake is an important part of water management in this area, as well as recreation. (I'm sure this is more info that you wanted, but I get started and just can't stop!)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for telling me a little more about Folsom, I like to learn new things. All I remember about Johnny Cash was how well he looked in his black outfits and that his wife had beautiful long hair.

      Delete