Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Still working on the paneling

When I moved into this house I found water damage to the paneling around the driveway side window.  There was a lot of damage in the house from water leaks around the windows, but  this window was definitely the worst; as I was painting all the paneling, I went ahead and painted the damaged stuff figuring it would have to be replaced and I would just repaint.  Here it is, several years later, and when the window was replaced it became obvious the paneling had to be taken care of before the trim could be set around the window.

Steve came over yesterday with Quinn, intending to install the new paneling pieces, which we had already purchased and had cut to size.  Quinn had other ideas.  She was all smiles until her Daddy set her down, and then she cried and screamed until he stopped work and picked her up, at which very moment the crying stopped.  It took him a long time to even get one piece set in below the window, and he still has to install the piece along the top.  Then he can finish off the window trim and I can finally repaint the paneling.  He will try to come back today with Liam.   You may wonder why I didn't hold Quinn and try to stop her crying - she would only smile at me from her Daddy's arms, but I would have had WW-3 if I had tried to hold her.

There are several things that need to be finished off after the window replacement, and I'll be so glad when it is all done.  I'm trying to touch up the paint around the window in the spare room, where the replacement left an area uncovered that had been painted previously.  The trouble is that I can't see well enough to keep from getting paint in the wrong place, but I am going to just try to finish it and hang sheers which will cover up my sloppy work.  I used to be such a meticulous painter and it makes me sad to see that I really can't do it anymore.  But it has to be done and I'm not going to ask anyone to help me do it, so I'm on my own.   It's easier to live with mistakes that you can't see very well!

There are so many things that need to be replaced or repaired in this house, but I'm getting too old to even care, and am not going to pour a lot of money into a nearly 60 yr old mobile home that was probably crap from the moment it was built!   But it's a roof over my head and I am not dependent on anyone else for shelter, for which I am eternally grateful.

8 comments:

  1. Two words - painter's tape. I have never had a steady enough hand not to have to mask before I paint and not the skinny stuff either. There is also a product called Dad's that came in a 3-n-1 size can that you wet a cloth and rub off paint drips if you see a drip after the paint has dried. Don't know if they still make it. We found it in Pop's garage and used it to clean up the woodwork after we painted the house to sell after Mother died. Works best with flat paints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me that there ARE things I can do to minimize my painting errors. I have tape somewhere - just have to find it.

      Delete
  2. Poor Steve, trying to help out and having his helper create a fuss. It will all get done in time. Judy has great advice. Painting is something that I find very satisfying. You get lots of results for your efforts and unlike all kinds of cleaning, it is a long time before it needs to be done again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was pretty frustrated. Now he's not going to be able to make it until Monday or Tuesday, and will be bringing both kids, hoping Liam can amuse Quinn so he can get the job done. I was thinking if it doesn't happen I might try to do it myself, but then do I really care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love to paint, I was always painting something. I have been trying to get motivated for about a year now to redo my bedroom and bathroom I hate the paint that is in there now. I have picked out the new colors but... I have more excuses than energy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my problem, Jo. I need to paint my bathroom, plus all the touch ups around the new windows, etc. I just can't seem to get enthused about it or to get started.

      Delete
  5. Gypsy have you ever thought of moving to a studio apartment or a one bedroom. It would be so much easier for you than trying to fix things in your place. You wouldn't have to rely on only the super or owner for repairs rather than family or friends. I know that our families are all pretty busy folks with families and jobs. I also would hate to ask for help. Give it some thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about it all the time. Apartment rents have risen dramatically, and it would cost me at least $400-500 more to rent an apartment than what I pay for site rent here. My site rent also includes utilities, so it wouldn't be unrealistic to have to add $300 or more for gas, electric and water to whatever apartment rent I paid. You can see my dilemma!

      Delete