Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, August 25, 2014

Trying to buy a book!

It shouldn't be this difficult.  I went to the Barnes & Noble bookstore this morning but didn't find the books I wanted.  I then went over to the crossword puzzle section and all they had were easy puzzles, so I left.

I did a computer search on the author's website and only found one of the books.  Next I checked Amazon and I didn't recognize their opening screen at first - why in the world would they make it more cluttered and complex?  It's no secret that I don't like Amazon, so I tried Powell's books but didn't find what I wanted there.

I gave up and did a search for one of the books and found a reference to Amazon, which I clicked.  Both books were available on Amazon even though my initial search there didn't give me any results that matched what I wanted.  I don't know what gives, but by now I wanted to just order the books so I ended up ordering from Amazon after all.  Personally I think they should open with a cleaner screen instead of all the displays.  I asked to search books and was led to a screen that tried to sell me clothing.

All's well that ends well, though, and I will have the reading material I want for my trip.  Still looking for a challenger crossword puzzle book!  I really don't like online shopping and wish I could just walk into a shop and find what I want.  I would have to live in Chicago or New York City or other large city for that to happen.  (I'm probably being a little over-the-top here!)

I don't know if it's the weather lately (although it's a little less hot today) but I get so sleepy in the middle of the day.  Also, I have been waking up in the morning before 8 am, then close my eyes for "just a couple more minutes", and next thing I know it's 8:30 or so.  I'm getting enough sleep so I don't know why the lethargy I've been experiencing lately.   I need to get back to a better diet no doubt - I've been either skipping a meal or else eating stuff that has calories but no nutrition.  I'll be really surprised if that's what the problem is.  Actually, I don't want to go out and buy a lot of groceries until I get back from NY when I'll have to re-stock everything.  

I'm thinking about making a meat loaf for supper so I'd better go see what I can do to throw that together.  I have never made what I consider a really great meatloaf and don't know why I keep trying, but maybe it will be better this time.

8 comments:

  1. I add things to a pound of ground chuck to mix my meatloaf. Then I divide it into four individual servings, but here's the secret. When I go to bake one, I poke three holes in the top with my fingertip and stuff each one with bacon grease. You do keep a jar of bacon grease in the fridge, don't you? They turn out very tasty to my way of thinking. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the red tape when ordering something on line gets too complicated and then you have to wait to get it shipped to you. If possible, I like to go into a store and buy what I want. Shopping in a real store lets me put my hands on the item.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the books you were looking for were a bit rare. Crazy that it is so hard to find a book. I have to admit that with all the time I spend on the computer, I have never really looked at Amazon and certainly never ordered anything there. In the interest of full disclosure, if I want something that I think will be a good deal on Amazon, I ask my SIL to get it for me:)

    Books are now almost exclusively order on my Nook reader-that is real easy:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get all my reading material from Amazon for my kindle so I can get around there pretty good. But until I figured it all out it made me crazy. Hope you find a good crossword somewhere.

    My friends and I were just talking about being so tired and unmotivated lately. We think we need winter now. All this heat and humidity seems to just drag us down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your meatloaf turns out good. My mother used to put a couple slices of bacon on top. Mmm! Meatloaf sandwiches are good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm love meatloaf. I hate shopping of every kind, even grocery. All except for books. I have never been in a sweet independent book store where I couldn't find too many things I wanted to buy. Don't like B &N either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have bought my fair share of stuff from Amazon but not a book.

    When I lived in Houston I spent a lot of time at the 50% off Books Store or I think that was their name. You could also sell your books and records there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started using a can of Hunt's Manwich to my meatloaf, and I really think it adds wonderful flavor. Plus onion, celery, mushrooms and saltines and viola' yummy meatloaf. Just a suggestion.. my grandkids were here once and asked what I put in it (teenagers) and I said it was a Granny 'secret' ingredient. LOL

    ReplyDelete