Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Getting rid of stuff.

After reading Billy Bob's efforts to organize his great stash of books and the resulting discussion about whether or not to give some away or keep all of them, I decided to take a look at what I have - not nearly as many books as a lot of folks have, but more than I have room for.  It hurt, but I took 4 books to the library this morning and gave them as a donation.  That inspired me to come home and look through the books again - now I have 6 more to donate, and I hope I can find a few more.  What I should do is get rid of a lot of old maps I've collected over the years.

I have a couple of books that might be of interest to one of the ladies out there, especially someone hoping and planning to begin solo RVing.  They are written by Barb Thacker, and document her travels with her Dog, Ink.  Several ladies who read my blog a few years back recommended this author, and here are the book titles:

"How Can I Be Lost When I Don't Know Where I'm Going", 1996.  (I bought the book used, and found an inscription from the author to the original book owner written in the book.)

"Still Going Blissfully Lost in the Baja", 1999

'Since I Don't Know Where I'm Going I'm Never Lost",  2003 

If someone is interested please email me and I'd be glad to send them to the first person I hear from.  It's all three books though - I don't want to break up the set.

I'm finding that it's not too difficult to weed out some books I can let go of, but other possessions will probably be more difficult.  I'm intent on reducing stuff in my house because I'm back to considering   apartment living.  There are just too many things that need repair and I seem to be paralyzed by it.  I can't call roofers and others for estimates because I have been burned too many times by those who are happy to take advantage of some women's lack of understanding repairs, especially older women's ignorance.  I've had a lot of help from my sons and son-in-law since I've been here but their lives, careers, and families are growing and evolving, and I don't intend to take time they really don't have.

So that leaves me with decluttering and  cleaning which will be a good thing whether or not I can unload this property!  I really don't know where to start, but I guess four books can be called a "start"!  Sometimes I wish I could just set up my tent in a clearing in the woods and simplify my life, but it wouldn't work.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Gypsy...I am very interested in the books...I will email you at the aol addy is that the right one?
    thanks donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Gypsy. I was thinking about your reaching that 125 lb. mark! For sure, a large part of that added weight is those arm muscles you've
    been working to develop!!! Good luck in getting rid of your "stuff". It seems acquiring things is lots easier than letting them go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep Gypsy the minimal maintenance required by my travel trailer home is really important to me also. An apartment is definitely better for me than a house of any sort. Of course I have extra space in my 146 square foot trailer. Simple living is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still remember the day well when I parted with all my best Pals. Books. Loaded them all in cardboard boxes & dropped them off at a Seniors home. It was a sad day. For me, books were always like best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm finding that I could easily live in this small 23' trailer. But Jim feels like we need a little more room. Of course, I don't have all the tools that he has even though I make sure he gets his use out of them. If I ever give up the RV living, it will be to move into an apartment. I do not want to have to worry about anything like repairs or yard work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only way I could see it working is if you got yourself a larger than a backpack tent and an air mattres or such .. up off the ground.

    four books is a start! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have snatched those books up a couple of years ago. I bought all 3 used and really enjoyed them. I bet you would like a nice small apartment with AC to control the heat and humidity. Hope you can find one and someone who would like to buy your place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baby steps and you have started by donation four books. I know how hard it is to get rid of things that are dear to us.

    You are a very considerate mother and mother-in-law, not too many like you.

    My inspiration is Barney OFM...he is ruthless when it comes to getting rid of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When we sold our house eleven years ago and moved into our motorhome full time I knew I would never want another house. It will be an apartment for us - hopefully with a nice view. Let someone else do the maintenance and yard work.

    arlonHboozer

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been eyeing my own books as well. There are just some things I'm not that interested in anymore.

    A quote from deep inside the non-commercial part of Mammoth Cave from early explorers:

    We don't know where we're going, but we're on our way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've had very good luck with workmen recommended by Home Depot and Lowe's.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have come to really enjoy getting rid of stuff-even books:)

    ReplyDelete