Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Earthquake!

The first thing I saw when I turned on my computer this morning was an email from my brother in Milwaukee asking all of us siblings in CA if we had experienced the earthquake early this morning, and if we were ok.  That was the first I heard of it and quickly turned on the news.  At first the map showing the areas of damage were small and isolated, but within an hour it looked like the entire central CA was affected in some way.

Hardest hit was the Napa Valley and surrounding areas.  I couldn't believe the pictures I saw of mobile homes that were completely destroyed - they look like they just melted.  It's a sobering thought to those of us who live in mobile homes.  The fires were caused by gas main leaks.

I didn't feel a thing, at least not anything to wake me up.  In all my years I have only experienced the effects of an earthquake on one occasion, and it felt like my recliner had a vibrating seat.  Nothing more, and I hope to never experience anything stronger.

I know there are readers of my blog who live in California, and I hope you are all safe  and would love to get a comment from you in that regard.

12 comments:

  1. The first thing I saw on my computer was about the quake as well and I immediately thought of you.

    Glad you are safe and were not affected. Hope the other bloggers in California and their families are safe as well.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, like MsB said. I also thought of you when I heard about the quakes. A strong quake can actually liquefy the earth and everything comes toppling down. I don't like it when disasters hit and harm people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We in Fresno didn't feel anything either. Hope those who were affected are doing better Will keep those with losses and injuries in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good grief, an earthquake. That's one of many reasons I left California. I was in the one in the San Fernando Valley in the early 70's. Hope damage isn't too bad and no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I was thinking about you too when I first saw it on the news today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear that you were not affected by the earthquake.. my heart goes out to those that were..Take care Gypsy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lad you were not affected-would not want to the see the roof damaged:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes, I saw it was mainly in the NAPA area ... your area so far is safe... glad you are!

    I remember my first earthquake in San Francisco ... the tremors afterwards were nauseating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter and her family are in Fairfield, and it woke her up at 3:30, she said it felt like it would never end. Luckily no damage to their new hours. My Dad is in Menlo Park - currently in a rehab facility for a broken ankle - and he said he didn't feel it, but is worried about his house in Antioch. No phone calls, though,from neighbors so he thinks everything is okay.

    I'm glad you are okay, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoops - make that "no damage to their new HOUSE."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you were not affected by the earthquake. Hope the damage in Napa is not too bad.

    arlonHboozer.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm just east of San Jose and didn't even know there was one until several days later.

    ReplyDelete