Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, August 29, 2014

Birthday Party

I'm just taking it easy until I get ready to go to the party for grandson Liam's 4th birthday.  About the only thing I've done is to get my suitcase out and start my packing.  I have enough to wear this coming week even after packing up most of the clothes I'll take with me.  I really hope I don't have to use a larger suitcase - the one I have is the medium-sized one of a set, and I'm not sure who has the other pieces.  At least I have time to switch items around and try to gain more space.

In the blog written by Billy Bob this morning he wonders if the end of the world is coming as his internet has shut down, and the TV has nothing worth watching.  It made me think about what might happen if something occurred to shut down the technology we have come to rely on.  As I commented on BB's post, I think us older folks would miss it at first but most of us would adapt.  We grew up in a world where we didn't carry around phones/cameras, and wrote letters on paper rather than on a computer.  Young people would have the biggest problem because they've never known a world without hi-tech.  Of course nearly all our transportation, including our cars, is controlled by computers and I wonder if we could even turn the ignition and get the vehicle out of Park.

And then there is Digital.  Can anyone even explain how digital works?  I know the TV, radio, and all sorts of devices are digital, but what is the controlling factor?  To tell the truth I still prefer analog clocks, scales, speedometers, and many other items.  It's something to think about.

It reminds me that when I was at Costco yesterday I was astounded at how nearly everyone had their phones in outstretched hands, many of them seeming to scan the merchandise they were looking at--with their iPhones.  Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on with that?  It is a bit disconcerting because as you go up and down the aisles you realize that everyone is looking at their phones and pushing their carts at the same time.  I feel like I have to be even more alert to avoid a collision, and god help me if someone is driving a car while looking at their phone.  I have no doubt that many people do that, especially if they use it as a GPS.  At my age I realize how dangerous it is for me to take my eyes off the road, but now I must worry about people who aren't watching the road at all, or only now and then alternately taking a quick glance at the road and then a long glance at their phone.

I must be getting really old.  I remember when my grandparents used to make comparisons between life in the 1950's, 60's and 70's with the life they grew up in.  Guess it happens, to most everyone and the upcoming generations won't be any exception.


9 comments:

  1. Marti people are scanning the products bar codes with their phones to get info on the item like ratings and prices elsewhere.. What if it is on special online somewhere for a much lower price.. Keeps them from buying something that is unsatisfactory in lots of reviews..

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I go to the store with my son, he has his list on his phone. Since I still have a flip phone I just leave my list at home and try to remember what's on it. lol When I see someone headed toward me I just stop my basket and wait to see if they will look or run into me. I'm tired of trying to dodge them.

    My grandparents went to town on Saturday and if you didn't get something you had to wait until next Saturday. I at least think about not going to town every day and it's only 10 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If bad internet and TV were the criteria, I guess the world ended quite awhile ago:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got that right - we old folks would adjust after ranting and raving for awhile but I cannot imagine what the kids would do. I don't think they know how to function at all without that phone or gadget attached to themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder what all this looking at computer and cell phone screens all the time is doing to our eye sight. Will the young people of today have macular degeneration at age 50?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, for one, realize that I spend way too much time on the computer, and I am an old fart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another Birthday why are these kids growing up so fast? One of my Grandsons turned 21 today.

    Giving yourself plenty of time to change your mind about the clothes you are packing that is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everywhere I go shopping it seems people are always on their phone. At least I can dodge them in the store but I too wonder of all those who are driving and not paying attention to the road.

    Have fun at the birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We got rid of Dish in early 2014--love the $$ we're saving but now we sit on our arses in front of our devices! Guess we just switched one screen for another--sheesh!

    If we believe that a strong social network is essential for us as we age, I wonder how things will be for the kiddos of today as they age?

    Try to take the smallest suitcase & least amount of stuff you can. Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete