Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Searching for campgrounds

I've been looking for tent camping sites along Lake Superior in Ontario, Canada.  There are provincial parks, but their rates seem high.  I guess I'm used to paying the senior rate at US National Park and Forest Service campgrounds, which usually run between $5 and 9 (that is the senior rate which is 50% of regular).  It looks like the private campgrounds as well as provincial parks run from about $20 to 25 for a tent site, and that is in Canadian so it would be a bit more in American dollars.  It won't break me to spend approx. 3 nights in Canada, and I'll just drive until I find a good place to stop.

Are any readers familiar with Thunder Bay?  I'm not usually interested in cities or tours, and wonder if it is worth an overnight stay in that vicinity.  I might add that my entire itinerary is written in jello at this point, and for all the planning I've done I'll be winging it as I go along.  That's exactly how I love to do it!

Jeannie will come by on Saturday to pack my car for me.  She did an excellent job getting everything in the van.  My ex husband was probably the best in the world for packing a car, a fridge/freezer, or just about anything, and all the kids have his skills.  I'm not bad at it but not the best either, so I'll let a pro do it for me.

I have a lot of items on my to-do list for tomorrow, including an oil change, and I'm hoping the tires are ok for the trip.  At this point I wonder if I will get everything done.


 

11 comments:

  1. Kakabeca Falls just west of Thunder Bay are pretty. http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/kaka.html

    It's a pretty drive along Lake Superior but it is a 2 lane road with passing lanes every so often.

    We always stayed in Wawa for a while at the Wawa RV Resort & Campground. It was just outside the CG that Gordon took the photo of Mama moose and her baby. We saw quite a few moose on the road between Wawa and Terrace Bay. Gordon loves Lake Superior for the photo ops. Here's the link to the Lake Superior North Shore gallery. http://www.pbase.com/merriwolf/183rd_camp_lake_superior_2009

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it is time to leave, just get in the car and go. There are stores along the way for anything you forgot to pack.

    The one thing I wonder about having someone more talented than you pack the car is how will you keep it all in there as you go along? Once you unpack, someone will need to get it back in...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Shadow on pack'n the car. You best be stand'n there watch'n where stuff is packed by the "pro", otherwise you ain't never gonna find it. "Where the hell is the toilet paper"???

    As much effort you put into this trip, what could possibly go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, agree with Shadowmoss. Don't try to take everything, it would be hard to find a place for the kitchen sink along with all your camping stuff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lake Superior oh, joy. such a beautiful place.

    too much stuff leads to too much todoing... gawking and ooohing and ahhing are what is important ... ;).. well, moisturizer, a toothbrush and clean underwear ... nice pillow and water.

    What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember, no current passport, no return to the USA. Thems the rules these days and ICE don't bend them for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't been up that way no use to you. Clean underwear - most important thing to remember. Of course, there is always a Walmart to buy more. Jim can pack anything with everything too. I don't even try. I just toss it in and if it fits, it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can hear the excitement in your words, so happy for you to get to go on your trip. Our family is exactly the same Art is one great packer and the girls inherited it from him. I am always amazed how they can get all the items they do in such a small space. And that talent is coming in handy with this small fridge and freezer :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Old Fort William at Thunder Bay is fab. It is a recreation of a Hudson Bay fort/trading post used by the voyaguers. You could spend an entire day there. The drive from Duluth to Thunder Bay is wonderful, lots of MN state parks, waterfalls and Lake Superior.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Anony--the drive up to Thunder Bay is beautiful. Don't forget Grand Portage just before you go into Canada on that road. There is a lot of history to see there. Also a good day trip on a boat from Grand Portage out the Isle Royale National Park. It is a beautiful trip out and back. I loved spending a few hours and doing a short hike on Isle Royale NP>

    ReplyDelete