Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Oregon Coast and Weaverville, CA

We left the Inn at Gold Beach after breakfast and headed over to the Forest Service Visitors Center to check out which short hikes might be best for kids (and grannies).  The woman working at the VC was so helpful and gave us several suggested hikes, plus was great with the kids - pulling out the goodie bag of items kids love.

We did a short stretch of the Oregon Coast Trail off Highway 101.  It started out fairly easy with mostly downhills and some uphills, but it got very steep once we came close to the ocean.

The last part was climbing down rocks to the little beach, but I opted to stay where I was.  I'm not steady enough on my feet to deal with the steep rocks, and have finally learned that "discretion is the better part of valor".













I think it's amazing the way the trees grow on the rocks.
 
Coming back up to the car we must have taken a different trail and it became so steep I wasn't sure I could make it, but I did!  The old girl ain't finished with life just yet!

It was a long drive from Gold Beach down to Eureka, CA - lots of traffic, road works, stopped traffic, and little towns, and I was glad when we finally turned east on Hwy 299 towards Redding.  We stopped for the night in the cutest little town I've seen yet, Weaverville.  I just love the looks of it, and will try to get some photos of it tomorrow.  It has a lot of shops on the Main Street, but they aren't the touristy type you see in the spruced up towns.  I think this area of the Trinity River Forest caters to fishermen and other outdoor enthusiasts, and is a no-frills town but has some unique shops.  We ate dinner at a great restaurant this evening - terrific food, service, and a full house.

Please click on pictures to enlarge.  I'm never sure if I have included the pictures I want, because it is difficult to tell from the thumbnail photos shown in blogger.

More to come tomorrow!  Good night all. 


 

11 comments:

  1. sooo gorgeous there!

    I loved that area ... you sound very upbeat tonight! with that view and good food and hiked a steep trail!

    and you made it ... you ain't finished yet.. damn straight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Now you're making me a bit envious and a lot homesick. I lived in OR long, long ago, and still try and get out to the left coast whenever possible but it's not often enough for my taste. It's such a beautiful coastline and state. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steep rocks are no longer my friends either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! What beautiful pictures!! BTW, my wife said she wouldn't go down on the rocks either. Knowing her, she probably wouldn't have crossed that waking bridge. I took her for a walk in the Davis Mountains and she wouldn't cross a bridge like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the Oregon Coast. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. It has been years since we have been there.

    Enjoy your holiday with your family

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sure is a beautiful area. Sounds like it might be a nice place to retire - when I'm off the road.

    I'm with you - from what I've learned, falls are definitely our enemy. I try to stay on safe footing all the time.

    You're having a wonderful trip with your family. I'd love to take that kind of vacation with my daughter or son and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great family road trip. And a great attitude, also. I dream of some road trips with my grand daughter, of course, it will be several years before we can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm right here old gal, so don't think I stayed home an' forgot bout ya.
    Think I'll just sit here next to ya look'n at them rocks. I ain't climb'n them things neither.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So gorgeous! I wannnnnaaaaa go tooooo! I'm in total withdrawal agony for Oregon and Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got some nice photos there. Have never been to Oregon but we are hoping maybe in the Fall of 2014. I've heard of Scotch on the Rocks but never Gypsy on the Rocks:))

    ReplyDelete